Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Did My Solenoid Pack Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did My Solenoid Pack Today

She was leaking so.... Took 2.5 hours from start to walking back in the house.

The Rockauto $107.79 unit description:
===============
DIRECT original equipment service replacement complete with gasket.
  • Externally mounted, easy to replace.
  • Improved “Quiet Design” replaces earlier trouble prone solenoid design.
===============
Came wrapped in plastic in a box with the gasket on it. It was kind of moist.
Marked in the casting and on the front plate are the ID markings BorgWarner.
It had 3 split dowels in the bolt holes that were too far out. Mine had 2 and I could tell the 3rd one would not apply because there was no recess for it on my tranny so I pulled it. The other two pushed to the proper depth easily.

When I pulled the wire connector off the rubber seal was a little moist with fluid. The pins on the wire end were dry inside.
I have read that some leave the cooling lines on but mercy! I pulled them and the Input sensor.
The biggest pain was getting the cooling lines to let go and cleaning the trans mounting surface and it was not that much to do. The room to access and the view on this job is the pain. The bolts surprised me being all thread. They were tight and came out without incident.

She is back on and running dry and the downshift bump seems a tad softer but it may be the placebo effect.
I am going to have a re-learn done because my transmission man says "Sure they do kind-of re-learn on their own but having one done will force a look at the compensation or calibration for any wear clearances. In your case with a harsh down shift I suggest you go for it. We have seen a re-learn take care of it and sometimes not.

I'll post back Monday on how it went.

Quick Reply: Did My Solenoid Pack Today