Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 Chrysler T&C cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
xevier69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Chrysler T&C cooling system issue

Hello,

I have recently replaced a radiator on my 2005 T&C ( I have also replace one before (same make) on GC 2001) and there is something that I don't understand. There are no leaks, no overheating, the fans turn when they need to. I filled the radiator with premixed coolant and also made sure that the reservior is filled within limits between min and max.
After a week of driving I noticed that the coolant level dropped below min and i had to refill again. So I wondered where I "loose" the coolant. Today I filled again and with the hood open I monitored the coolant level. As soon as the engine became hot the coolant rose above the max level and was near the overflow opening. So, my guess was that as i drove the lever was rising and eventually spat out through the overflow.
I have no idea why is this happening. The GC has been running over a year now and the coolant always stays between min and max. I understand that some of it may evaporate in hot temps but don't quite understand why is it being pushed out.
Any suggestion are as always greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head to an AutoZone or the like and sign out a cooling system pressure tester. Pump the pressure up and see if it holds pressure. If it doesn't and you can't see an obvious leak there's a good chance a head gasket is leaking. A typical symptom is white vapor out the exhaust pipe but that's not a given. You'll then need a test kit to check for exhaust leaking into the coolant from the gasket. I wouldn't drive it much more until these are ruled out.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
xevier69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cougar41,

Thanks for your suggestions (as always!). The good thing is that there is no white smoke/vapor so far but yes, the head gasket may be a possibility. The van just reached 135k. I'll see if I can get the system pressure tester and will post the outcome.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad radiator cap? or was is alrdy replaced by the one came with the New Radiator?

Quick Reply: 05 Chrysler T&C cooling system issue