Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent starter problems on my 96 GC 3.3l

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Cvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intermittent starter problems on my 96 GC 3.3l

Hi Guys,

I've scoured the forums but can't find anything similar. Please help point me in some directions.

Event #1. My wife went to go somewhere, tried the remote starter and then went to leave it wouldn't start. Key goes in, electronics and dash light all start up. key doesn't do anything when rotated forward. No turnover, no sounds at all. When I got home from work, I put the key in and it started like a dream. drove it around all the next day, no concerns.

Event #2. My wife started the van, pulled around the corner and the oil light came on and it died on her. I walked down the street hopped in and it started no problem, drove it around again to try and duplicate the problem but nothing occured.

Event #3. Had Event #1 like symptoms again with my wife but it started for me perfectly.

Event #4. I finally had it happen to me when I tried to start it this morning. Key goes in, lights and dash work fine (Oil light stays on) but nothing happens when the key is rotated forward. No click nothing. 10 minutes later it starts no problem as if nothing ever happened to begin with.

I could see it being a starter problem but why is it tied to the oil light?
Any other ideas on what could be causing it?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
grswat
Veteran

I'd guess the ignition switch. The oil light will stay on when the key is put in the on position with the engine not running. When it died it was probably unrelated and was running at such a low rpm that the oil pressure was low.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Cvan

Thanks for the suggestion grswat. I'll be taking a better look at it later in the week when I have some free time.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Montreal300
Professional

3 out of four times, don't let your wife drive.
Seriously, switch sounds like the problem.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Cvan

Okay,

Switch is fine, problem still occurs. Battery and connections are all good.

Only code that pops is P0135 (Oxygen 02 Sensor) which sets off the check engine light. (Assumption that this has nothing to do with my starter problem)

Starter problem(s) has gotten worse. (More frequent and other electrical irregularities)

Key rotated forward now triggers the Brake and ABS dash lights.
Small click can be heard (assumed from the soleniod, not tested yet)
brake light goes out when key position is released.
ABS light follows 3 seconds later and another click accompanies the ABS release.(Only occurs during starter problem)

Passenger sliding door no longer locks/unlocks electronically.(Assumption that this has nothing to do with my starter problem)

While accelerating this weekend to pass(up to 130kms around 3500 rpms)
Heard a popping noise from the radio which turned itself off, reset all of the radio presets and clock.

I only paid $700 for this van. (Another $750 invested to pass inspection)
Seriously thinking of cutting my losses. Any thought's that might sway me otherwise?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
bw619

Does your security light on the dash stay on? Did you use the same key to start it that your wife used? Had a similar problem with a Ford Ranger that turned out to be a faulty security chip in the key. Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Cvan

I had previously noticed that the security light stayed on during one of my previous episodes but didn't think anything more of it.

The problem however, has occured with both sets of keys and both remote starters. Which could indicate that it isn't the chipped key but maybe the reader.

Thanks for the idea, I'll do a little more research and maybe get my hands on a wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starter problems on my 96 GC 3.3l