Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge 2003 Grand Caravan 3.3 Making Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dancar
Problem found. I had to take it in for the technician to find the reason of the knocking. The technician diagnosed that the roller on the bottom of the lifter under cylinder 3 show metal fatigue and the bottom of this lifter is damaged. He said is possible the oil I used created the damaged but have this have to be proved further. I told him to stop the disassemble process before creating a big bill. My options are to remove the camshaft, installed a new timing chain and other parts and flush the engine to clean the metal particles or obtain a remanufactured engine from Mopar and dealer installed.
If you are throwing in that much money into a van with such mileage, I think you need to consider the fact that it may become an bottomless hole.

you probably won't find another Van for $5000 with a new engine, but you have to be ready for things such as it may need a new trans when it reach let say... 200k miles.

have you consider upgrading to a new van?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM
johnsonpaul999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you know that I just fixed the P0420 code on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan this weekend. I only need to replace the downstream O2 sensor + adding the check engine light eliminator adapter (cost ~ $30 total). The youtube link is as below if you are still interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhDeOvvvX0&t=324s

Quick Reply: Dodge 2003 Grand Caravan 3.3 Making Engine Noise