Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent airbag light - 2006 GC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent airbag light - 2006 GC

2006 GC SXT ~130k miles. The air bag light comes on intermittently. This started back in the summer and the pattern of leaving the car parked in the sun seemed to cause it to turn on. Once we started driving and had the A/C on to cool down the interior, the light would go off. But summer ended, and now there seems to be no pattern for when it turns on. Truly as intermittent as the definition of the word is.

I read through other posts in this forum. I have informed the other drivers in the household to try wiggling the seat belt harnesses on both sides whenever the light comes on again. My wife then informed me that she has seen the light turn off when she adjusts the height of the steering wheel, so that's starting to smell like a clockspring problem.

If the problem is either the seat belt harness or the clockspring, I presume the air bag module will capture the codes. What kind of reader is required to pull the codes? Do any of the parts stores pull codes for these like they do with an OBD-II reader?

How DIY-able are these two problems?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need a scanner capable of reading "chassy" or "c" codes. From reading threads on it neither sounds too difficult to change. Just make sure you disconnect the battery to disable the SRS system.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of the major auto parts stores have these scanners, so I guess I'll have to take it in to my mechanic. He told me today that if it's the clockspring, that averages about $300, depending on the vehicle.

Does anyone know whether premature deployment of airbags can be caused by the clockspring problem? Just trying to assess my risk if I want to wait until we thaw out around here. (Currently 2 [two!] degrees. Fahrenheit.)

Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan400Man
My wife then informed me that she has seen the light turn off when she adjusts the height of the steering wheel, so that's starting to smell like a clockspring problem.
There will be a short delay after startup between the bulb check ending and the airbag module turning the light on. During that time is when she is adjusting the wheel. It's just coincidental. Get the codes pulled before you do anything.

Answer to your question, no. The circuit in them just goes open. You will get no deployment IF that is the issue. But I sure wouldn't keep driving around not at least knowing what was turning the light on....you never know.

Last edited by TNtech; 01-22-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent airbag light - 2006 GC