Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Should I upgrade to a newer van? Weighing my options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
walnut777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I upgrade to a newer van? Weighing my options.

I am having a little trouble making up my mind and wondering whether I should keep the van I have or upgrade to a newer one.

Ive got a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager base model 3.3 flex fuel. 128,000 miles. I was thinking of repainting it. ($500 bucks from a friend) maybe some new carpet. Things I am definitely going to fix if I keep it are: valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, the fuel line at the fuel rail, it has randomly ran hot on my wife so I guess that sensor for the fan that mounts on the radiator support (again), about time for tires and maybe some new hubcaps. I really wanted to upgrade to 15 inch tires but I seen the hubs are different so I have no clue what all has to be swapped out to go to a 15 or 16 inch tire, fix a small transmission fluid leak from a cooler line and find the coolant leak.

I bought this van almost 2 years ago used from an older lady. She kept all her maintenance records. Everything the manual said to do, this woman done it. I bought it with 112,000 miles. It does not smoke or rattle or knock. You can stomp the gas pedal and she operates almost effortlessly. Never had any transmission problems.

I would like a newer van but I really dont want a car payment. When I was looking for a van before I got this one they all had 160k+ on them at the price I paid for the one I currently have.
Also, at least I know what small issues mine have an can fix them myself. Im a bit afraid of getting into a payment on a little bit newer van and then having issue with that van.
I could fix the leaks that my van has, clean it up nice. Sell it at a reasonable price since it is needing tires soon and the clear coat is peeling on the back. Use the cash as a down payment on a van thats say a 2005 model for about $6,000

So, if it were you would you just keep what you got? or upgrade to a newer van? We dont get on really long trips, the farthest we have been in it was about 2 and a half hours away from home, but a newer van could break down too. What do you guys/gals think?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, do you must need a minivan? would a sedan or small cuv due? honestly, minivan cost more to maintain than the other 2

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
walnut777

Originally Posted by steak59
well, do you must need a minivan? would a sedan or small cuv due? honestly, minivan cost more to maintain than the other 2
id rather have a large suv like an older yukon but the gas mileage is terrible
the wife loves minivans. we have 2 kids together and I have 1 that comes on the weekends. she likes all the room for groceries and for when we take small trips and to seperate the kids so they dont pick at each other so much. so yeah i gguess as long as the wife is stuck on a minivan then im stuck owning one. lol

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
vonJaerschky
Amateur

I had a 98 Windstar and was dead set against buying a new van because I hate car payments. I was happy to keep the old tub going. But then the issue was decided for me when it threw a con rod and punched a hole in the side of the block. I was going to buy a used van a few years old, but then I had a look a the new Grand Caravans. For under $20K (+taxes), I don't regret buying the new (2012) one for a single minute. I have the security of a decent warranty, it's new and comfy, and compared to the old Windstar uses less than half the gas and has more power. It hauls the kids, the dogs, and I've had it full to the brim for trips to the dump, too.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, if you afford a Base Model 2013 Caravan, you'll find one for less than $22,000 out of the door. You know this van will last you over 10-15 years if you take care of it, instead of going thru 1 used car every few year. and it also have all the safety features such as Side Air bags and stuff for your kids, Stow n' Go Seat for ur wife, etc...

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade to a newer van? Weighing my options.