Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Loud Thud Shifting Into Drive 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 PM
13SXTplus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine makes a clunk noise sometimes during the same transmission operations. I wouldn't say its loud, but rather its a different sound than what normally happens.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM
clifforddog1

Had the van in again last week, no updates for the software, was told by the Service Manager they have opened a report with Dodge engineer staff, he has had a number of other customers with the same problem and hopes they are working on an update within the next 90days.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM
kallsop
Rookie

The 4 speed will do it too when cold. Have to get in the habit of starting engine, and wait a few seconds before selecting reverse. Even then, there will be an occasional clunk. I am not expecting any 4 speed software updates though, that transmission appears to have been abandoned, even though the inept TCC programming needs fixing. It will be interesting to see how well the new 8 and 9 speed ZF designs are programmed. Chrysler already delayed the new Cherokee due to ZF 9 speed shift software "glitches". I have to believe it will be a big step up from the 62TE though, once they get it sorted.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM
rfielder
Amateur

My 2011 GCV does this sometimes, as well as the jumpy reverse when reversing uphill - which is every day, since my driveway is sloped!

Have asked a local Chrysler dealership, and they also said that there are a lot of complaints about this. They also told me that there were no updates for my transmission. Not sure if this is because they want to avoid work, or if it is because I am in Canada, or what.

Also had the van into The Kal Tire garage that I have been dealing with for over 20 years - they have been amazing at times, helped me put 347,000km onto my 1994 Nissan pickup with never a need for an engine rebuild. Only let it go because it dropped a gear in the manual transmission, and they could not find a replacement unit. $1,200 for a transmission rebuild on a truck with that many miles did not seem worthwhile, so I replaced it - which may have been a mistake!

My point is that the dealship seems to know what they are doing. They also could see nothing wrong with the transmission, so I guess i have to leave with the defects for now.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default Reprogramming seems to be temporary fix

Took my 2013 in complaining of that harsh engagement and rpm flare on 4-5 and 5-6 shifts. Dealer applied "latest reprogramming" fix. Clunking stopped for about 3000 mi, now it's back. RPM flare is getting worse. I'll be visiting them again soon, but I don't hold much hope for a permanent fix, based on what others are saying.
Chrysler needs to fire all its transmission people. These 6 speed trannys are very problem prone; not that they actually break, but far too many have shifting issues.... maybe a class action suit is in order.

Quick Reply: Loud Thud Shifting Into Drive 2013