Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
myt69mopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan Electrical problem

Help me please,

I have a 97 Caravan with a toublesome electrical problem and I don't know where to start. The problem goes like this; Horn doesn't work, Air Bag lamp is on, A/C clutch runs whenever the heatet fan is turned on and every now and then the wipers go up and down once by themselves. If anyone can point me in some direction I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing I've tried was replacing the fuse and relay center under the hood, but needless to say that didn't work. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 AM
tenntech
Professional
Default RE: 97 Caravan Electrical problem

The airbag light and the horn are probably your clockspring. This problem is covered by the B24 clockspring recall. As far as the compressor running while on heat, this may be normal depending on the mode setting. Most vehicles will cycle the compressor while on defrost and sometimes on other settings. The wipers are probably a wiring problem or possibly a relay, but most likely not related to your other problems.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Toecutter

ORIGINAL: tenntech

The airbag light and the horn are probably your clockspring. This problem is covered by the B24 clockspring recall. As far as the compressor running while on heat, this may be normal depending on the mode setting. Most vehicles will cycle the compressor while on defrost and sometimes on other settings. The wipers are probably a wiring problem or possibly a relay, but most likely not related to your other problems.
Mr. TennTech,
Could you go further into this "Recall" you mentioned about?

TY,
Toe

Old 09-14-2005, 04:44 PM
myt69mopar

Tenntech,

Thanks a bunch. I called Daimler/Chrysler and that recall is an outstanding recall on my van and they are the symptoms. i'll check into the other two but thanks for shedding some new light on them. Your assistance is VERY much appreciated.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
601dodge
Default HEY I GOT ONE FOR YA

JUST BOUGHT A 98 CARAVAN FOR A LITTLE BIT OF NOTHING. HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE AC NEEDS RECHARGING OR IF THE WHOLE AC COMPRESSOR IS GONE. AND THEN A LITTLE SOMETHING THAT KINDA BLEW MY MIND. WHEN I WAS DRIVING FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES THE LITTLE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER THAT HOLDS THE HEADLIGTS AND INTERIOR LIGHT SWITCHES STARTED SMOKING. IS THIS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM OR JUST THE SWITCH GONE BAD. HOW MUCH WOULD A NEW ONE COST ME.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 AM
tenntech
Professional

Mr. TennTech,
Could you go further into this "Recall" you mentioned about?

TY,
Toe

This recall is a B24 clockspring recall. If the van is under 75,000 mi. the clockspring gets replaced, if it is over 75,000 mi. you only replace it if it has failed. This is a lifetime warranty, so even if the component fails after the recall has been done you can have the clockspring replaced as many times as it fails.

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan Electrical problem