Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Sal Mendoza
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Grand Caravan

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a problem with a Grand Caravan 1997, 3.3litre engine, the problem is that the engine does not start.

I was driving with my family and suddenly the the tachometer went to zero and the engine did not start again.

We checked the CAMShaft and the Cranckshaft sensors both of them good, we checked the harness and found some lines that run over the exhaust manifold that were overheated and separated them, but none of them were shorted.

The computer was checked twice by different people and both of them told me that it was OK.

Since the Anti-theft circuitry is part of the Body Contro Module I took it appart to send it to check.

My concern is why that the computer is not sending the 8 volt supply to the CAM and Cranckshaft sensors, obviously they are not working.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

SM

Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine cranks just won't start correct?

Did someone in fact measure the voltage at pin #1 of each sensor and not see 8 vdc? Did they then test all involved wiring for continuity including sensor ground at pin#2. If the PCM is getting it's power and ground and wire continuity are good, the PCM is bad.

You checked for shorted wires at the damaged point on the harness. Did someone check continuity on those wires with an ohmmeter? Many times wires will break inside the insulation, invisible to the eye.

How was the PCM tested? Beyond using a multi thousand dollar DRBIII scanner or sending it to a repair facility for bench testing there's no practical way to test a PCM other than to do a simple codes check. The codes check is not conclusive.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 1997 Grand Caravan