Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Output Sensor or Trans axle Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
kwagner_51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Output Sensor or Trans axle Problem?

I have a 99 Grand Caravan 3.3 Flex fuel. On my way home tonight, everything was working GREAT!! Then I noticed that the speedometer wasn't working. The last time it did this, I just disconnected the battery and everything reset.

This time was different. Cruise control didn't work and the speedometer would jump from 0-100 and back. When it jumped the engine would stumble. I stopped at Advance Auto and they ran a scan the only code was for the output sensor.

Van runs great at idle. I haven't noticed any tranny slip or hard shifting. However the clock spring is broken and the airbag light comes on but doesn't stay on. Tonight was the first time the service engine light came on.

This is my work van and I need it. If the transmission is shot then I need to look for a new vehicle.

HELP!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your transmission is fine. Your output speed sensor isn't. Classic symptoms for a bad output sensor are an erratic or dead speedo and erratic shifting. I'm betting your "engine stumble" is actually your transmission talking to you.

Want a free clockspring replacement? Head to your dealership.They will replace it under a safety recall if it is indeed bad. All 3rd generation vans have a lifetime warranty on clocksprings. Your airbag light is one symptom. Your dead cruise is another. Soon your horn will die.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
kwagner_51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!! I will be taking it to a dealership in the next hr!! Will update with info when I learn more!!

Quick Reply: Output Sensor or Trans axle Problem?