Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

08 caravan - very perplexing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Tim Hovis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 caravan - very perplexing issue

We have an 08 caravan SXT. Its got 73k on it now. I recently replaced the heater hose with a t like everyone else does because of the slight coolant leak, but now I have a different issue.

On almost a daily basis for about the last 2 months the car will emit some white smoke from under the hood area. It actually comes out from under the hood between the hood and the windshield on the drivers side. It has a very electrical smell, like something hot electrical, but it doesn't do this consistently. It does it almost once a day, but at different times in the day. Sometimes when you stop at a light or something you can smell it a little in the vents if the fan is on, but usually only see smoke one time per day.

I have checked everything obvious, and cannot find any issues. The rad fan works fine, there are no leaks, or nothing like wires or anything on the exhaust.

Its got a new battery about a yr ago now I guess, but other then normal oil changes and brake changes and usual maintenance is hasn't had any other issues.

I am very perplexed as to what could be causing it. I find it hard to believe that it could be anything too serious because it just keeps doing it, but never has an issue, always starts, and never any lights.

Anybody have any ideas? I hate to take it to the dealer for something like this, because it will be difficult to reproduce, and without just starting to toss parts into it until you find the magic one, its seems like just a big waste of money.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, are you losing coolant?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Tim Hovis

Nope no loss of any fluids whatsoever. Well it does burn some oil, but that seems standard for the motor. The hot smell is very electrical smelling if that makes any sense. The computer doesn't seem hot at all, I can reach down and get my hand on the side of it, and none of the relays appear to be hot at all either.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with white smoke coming up from the driver's side of the engine bay when stopping after a lengthy drive. The dealership isolated the cause to a leaking heater hose. They replaced it but as I was driving home the smell and smoke were still there. I immediately did a U-turn back to the dealership and it turned out they didn't clean off the spilled coolant stuck in the dimples on the top of the transmission. I got a free engine bay cleaning for my trouble, but was told I would still see white smoke for the next 24 hours because of the water used to clean the engine bay being stuck in those dimples. I haven't had a problem since.

It sounds like you may have already ruled this out, but check for accumulated coolant or other fluid on the top of the transmission or any component that's directly below the radiator and heater hose ends.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Tim Hovis

Well I finally got to figure out where the smoke is coming from. It seems to be coming out of the EGR valve.

I guess I will need to go ahead and take that all apart and see what that gets into. I am not getting any check engine codes or anything, so that would lead me to believe that its still functioning, just don't know why it smells like its burning.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Hovis
Well I finally got to figure out where the smoke is coming from. It seems to be coming out of the EGR valve.

I guess I will need to go ahead and take that all apart and see what that gets into. I am not getting any check engine codes or anything, so that would lead me to believe that its still functioning, just don't know why it smells like its burning.
The EGR valve should not visibly smoke, even if it leaks some. It can't be repaired or disassembled, you simply buy a new one for $100. An exhaust leak usually does not smoke unless your motor is real sick. The EGR routes exhaust gasses into the intake. It only has control wires, exhaust gasses and intake air. It would not cause burning odor. If you aren't getting a check engine light the EGR is likely OK.

Burning odors come from antifreeze or oil drip on the exhaust. I am guessing your flimsy plastic coolant Y pipe adjacent to the EGR is cracked and dripping, even though you have not yet seen fluid level drop. A drip once every 15 minutes on the exhaust will produce smoke but it will take months for fluid level to drop a cup. It will definitely stink when burned on the exhaust, as another person pointed out.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Tim Hovis

I had already replaced my Y pipe with a tee like others have, so that was out of the question. I replaced the EGR valve and haven't seen smoke or had the funny smell since, so I guess something was shorted out inside of it. One will never know...

Quick Reply: 08 caravan - very perplexing issue