Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Wanting to buy a 2013 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
bjorkmae
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to buy a 2013 caravan

I currently have a 2005 caravan SXT with 95k and love it. I towed a 2500 pound trailer across country and had the van packed full. The interior has held up well to my kids and home remodeling projects. But it will need a few things soon, like brakes, battery, potentially alternator for bearing noise and tires. I don't want to deal with the upcoming repairs/maintenance so I am considering a new one. I test drove a 2013 SXT a few months ago and liked it.
Here are my questions/concerns:
1. I have read a lot about transmission problems specifically 2011 and 2012. Did they finally fix the issue for 2013?

2. I added a trans cooler to my current one when I bought it, I heard the new vans come with a good trans cooler stock in all trims. Is this true? Could I even add a trans cooler since there is no dip stick?

3. I heard 2013 is the year to get because of the better brakes? Is this true?

4. What all does the tow package come with? A hitch? Brake controller wiring? I currently have a brake controller but I had to wire it to the trailer plug in the back myself.

5. How good is the 3.6 engine? My 3.8 has been great and given me great gas mileage how will this one compare? I heard there was a problem with ticking lifters and a recall, is the problem fixed now?

6. Whats a fair price to pay for a 2013 SXT?

7. Would you consider buying a 2013 SXT with 701 miles that is listed as used? Seams like a good deal but its listed by a Hyundai dealer so...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
newtododge1

The only thing I can speek to is the transmision issues. I've gota 2012 and it was just recalled for a reflash on the transmission & it shifts a whole lot better than it did before. Before it was reflashed it was terrible in econ mode, but now does good in either mode. As far as the 2013 on the used car lot I doubt that you'd get much of a discount over just buying a new one.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
meyerjrj

Originally Posted by newtododge1
The only thing I can speek to is the transmision issues. I've gota 2012 and it was just recalled for a reflash on the transmission & it shifts a whole lot better than it did before. Before it was reflashed it was terrible in econ mode, but now does good in either mode. As far as the 2013 on the used car lot I doubt that you'd get much of a discount over just buying a new one.
X2 - I would pass on the "used" Caravan and get an "unused" SXT. The payments are just as hard either way.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, go to a Dodge Dealer and see how much is a New one. They might surprise you. Especially if you quality for low interest financing thru Chrysler, your monthly payment might be about the same with a Used one.

the 3.6l Pentastar puts the 3.8 engine into shame. Just drive it. But fuel economy might be only slightly better, because the 2013 is bigger and heavier than a 2005.

2013 has a larger brake compare to the older one.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Threader

Originally Posted by steak59

2013 has a larger brake compare to the older one.

I'm not convinced the the entry level AVP model with 16" Steel wheels and hubcaps have the upgraded brakes. If the OP buys an SXT with 17" alloys than I'm much more confident that they will find upgraded HD brake calipers, pads and rotors all around.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
bjorkmae

I checked on the used one the next day and they raised the price. Actually asking more than my local dealer for a new one. I will probably go with an SXT if I decide to get a new one. What is the best deal you think I can realistically get? The local dealer seams more upfront and includes the destination charge. Another advertised a low price and "minivan loyalty" just to find out they had already taken the "loyalty" off of the price and would add it back on if I traded in my current dodge van because "you wouldn't still own the other one". Basically I would have to own a dodge that I kept and trade in a non-dodge van as well. They had all kinds of number games that they couldn't seam to keep straight. So I will probably go with the local dealer. The BS they play just makes me walk the other way.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default A few thoughts for you

1. You ask what a fair price would be for a new 2013. I've been looking at 2013 SXT's for months, and have come to the conclusion that a discount of about $3000 is about it. That includes current incentives. There are also special incentives, like active military, caravan loyalty (trading one in, I assume) that might drop it further.
2. Another change besides brakes: 2013's have a new antifreeze formula that is good for 10yr/100,000 mi rather than 5yr/50,000 mi.
3. I just made a deal on a '13 SXT with 380 miles on it, sold as used. Apparently, the buyer decided it didn't fit his needs (what an idiot to blow all that money). Got it for $21,000. So if you think it's a mistake to buy one that is listed as used with unusually low miles, maybe we'll both make that mistake.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy a 2013 caravan