Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2013 Grand Caravan Crew w/ Misaligned Parkview Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AlexanderKolesov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have exactly same pic what celestialh had...
its misaligned on right..
I just wanted to talk to Mopar rep and ask if it is the problem on all of them..
Dealer pulled one of the new vans for me and camera was misaligned in other one as well...

Last edited by AlexanderKolesov; 06-05-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 AM
AlexanderKolesov

Just called and talked to Chrysler Canada,..will see what they can do..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM
perrkat
Angry same problem here

I own a 2013 dodge grand caravan. It has 329 engine hours on it and about 7k miles The camera was perfectly squared till the recent cold snap. It was during the cold snap that I noticed that the camera was tilted. At one point the camera pointed to the top of the local Kroger store when I tried to back out of a parking spot then it went back down and seemed to have settled into its present location though even that seems to getting worse over time. I was driving past the place that I bought it from (Oxmoor Dodge in Louisville) and so I popped in to see if I might be able to get an appointment to have it looked at. the woman there told me to bring it in since the place was empty. I did so and they walked around to the back of the van and peered at the camera lens then sat in the drivers seat and looked at the screen while in reverse. They looked for a service notice from Dodge which over course there are none since no one seems to realize that this is a true problem. then showed me a filthy van that was in the service bay and said look it has the same look to the backup camera. I said that only proved that there was a problem with the camera so they brought in the van that they use to take people home after they drop off their car for repairs, it too had a broken camera. I again told them that proved that they had a camera problem. They brought in a 2014 van (I wouldn't doubt they looked for one with a broken camera) and showed me that it was the same. they then refused to take the device apart to check that the bevel or what ever it is that holds the camera is place was broken. She said she would only do it is Dodge told her she had to EVEN if I paid for it to be checked she refused to do it. I told her I would email her some info on what needed to be fixed when I got home. She also told me that this item was not covered under the bumper to bumper warrantee even if it was broken which it was not. I sent her this forum as well as photos from the actual dodge.com web site. I waited for her response but she never did. When I called her back she told me her supervisor told her that if she had looked at 2 used vans and a new one then obviously there was no problem and not to worry about it. then when I asked why she did not contact me back and let me know that she gave some excuse of one of the people that worked there was going to a class at dodge and he was going to ask about the camera and then she was going to call me back (remember previously she told me she was told by her supervisor to not worry about me) She then told me that if I wanted it looked at I would have to pay for it. Then she again told me that she would not look at it unless dodge head office told her too.

I called dodge and the guy that answered the phone listened to our story and told us yes of course this was covered under the warrantee then called this woman convinced him that there was no problem even though no one had as yet examined my vehicle. He came back telling me that he could not force her to look at the van. So I asked to speak to a supervisor.

The Supervisor called me the next day he seemed all gung ho to help out and he called and talked to Karen's Supervisor and then he came back and started spouting the same crap as the others did. Dodge built the camera's to be tilted down on one side and I didn't know what I was talking about and he would not force them to fix the problem.

If the problem is a bevel the cost to repair this would be 79.99 (retail so less for dodge) and labor. I am at my wits end trying to get them to fix this camera. It is slowly getting worse as time goes on. It seems amazing that dodge is willing to lose a customer over less then a hundred dollar repair. I just don't understand it. I am open to any suggestions on how to get these people to listen to me.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by perrkat
I own a 2013 dodge grand caravan. It has 329 engine hours on it and about 7k miles The camera was perfectly squared till the recent cold snap. It was during the cold snap that I noticed that the camera was tilted. At one point the camera pointed to the top of the local Kroger store when I tried to back out of a parking spot then it went back down and seemed to have settled into its present location though even that seems to getting worse over time. I was driving past the place that I bought it from (Oxmoor Dodge in Louisville) and so I popped in to see if I might be able to get an appointment to have it looked at. the woman there told me to bring it in since the place was empty. I did so and they walked around to the back of the van and peered at the camera lens then sat in the drivers seat and looked at the screen while in reverse. They looked for a service notice from Dodge which over course there are none since no one seems to realize that this is a true problem. then showed me a filthy van that was in the service bay and said look it has the same look to the backup camera. I said that only proved that there was a problem with the camera so they brought in the van that they use to take people home after they drop off their car for repairs, it too had a broken camera. I again told them that proved that they had a camera problem. They brought in a 2014 van (I wouldn't doubt they looked for one with a broken camera) and showed me that it was the same. they then refused to take the device apart to check that the bevel or what ever it is that holds the camera is place was broken. She said she would only do it is Dodge told her she had to EVEN if I paid for it to be checked she refused to do it. I told her I would email her some info on what needed to be fixed when I got home. She also told me that this item was not covered under the bumper to bumper warrantee even if it was broken which it was not. I sent her this forum as well as photos from the actual dodge.com web site. I waited for her response but she never did. When I called her back she told me her supervisor told her that if she had looked at 2 used vans and a new one then obviously there was no problem and not to worry about it. then when I asked why she did not contact me back and let me know that she gave some excuse of one of the people that worked there was going to a class at dodge and he was going to ask about the camera and then she was going to call me back (remember previously she told me she was told by her supervisor to not worry about me) She then told me that if I wanted it looked at I would have to pay for it. Then she again told me that she would not look at it unless dodge head office told her too.

I called dodge and the guy that answered the phone listened to our story and told us yes of course this was covered under the warrantee then called this woman convinced him that there was no problem even though no one had as yet examined my vehicle. He came back telling me that he could not force her to look at the van. So I asked to speak to a supervisor.

The Supervisor called me the next day he seemed all gung ho to help out and he called and talked to Karen's Supervisor and then he came back and started spouting the same crap as the others did. Dodge built the camera's to be tilted down on one side and I didn't know what I was talking about and he would not force them to fix the problem.

If the problem is a bevel the cost to repair this would be 79.99 (retail so less for dodge) and labor. I am at my wits end trying to get them to fix this camera. It is slowly getting worse as time goes on. It seems amazing that dodge is willing to lose a customer over less then a hundred dollar repair. I just don't understand it. I am open to any suggestions on how to get these people to listen to me.

Check your PM, I replied.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Gabby-Rudy
Amateur

Re:Parkview Camera (reverse camera) Alignment

I found this on the Jeep Forum, maybe not the exact procedure for our GC, but give us some idea (maybe) how to fix it. I guess we are not the only ones with this problem.
"Quote"

It's quite simple and can be done in around 20-30 min.

1. Open Liftgate.
2. Remove lower half of interior trim cladding on Liftgate. There are the typical Mopar plastic clips around the perimeter. A trim removal tool is suggested, but some folks prefer a flat blade screwdriver or putty knife. There is a triangular piece of bottom of trim that DOES NOT require removal in order to remove the entire Liftgate trim.
3. Carefully lower the trim cladding so you can access the connectors for the 2 courtesy lights in trim panel.
4. Disconnect the connectors for lights and set trim cladding aside.
5. From the back side of the Liftgate, locate and remove the 4x (10mm) nuts in the center of Liftgate. These secure the outer trim strip on the outside of the Liftgate. The nuts are about 10 inches apart from each ther.
6. Lower the Liftgate.
7. Gently pry on the center trim strip and it should separate from the Liftgate.
8. Flip trim strip upside down to access the camera. (I personally left all of the wiring connected to the strip as there is adequate room to work with and also not to disturb what I didn't feel the need to.)
**9. From the backside, draw an alignment mark on either the top or bottom of camera that extends to the mount so upon reassembly, you won't install the camera backwards by mistake.
10. Locate/remove the 2x (5mm) bolts that secure the camera mount.

11. (Optional) This step can be skipped, but you may remove the camera completely from the mount to take a closer look at it, touch it, share a story etc... Face it. We're all gear heads here and we are curious.

12. Depending on the misalignment ofyour camera, you will need to add some sort of "shim"to the lowest side of the camera mount to compensate. Place the shim(s) of choice UNDER the part of the camera mount which the bolt goes though. I personally used very thin "spring washers" to perform the necessary adjustments.These are paper thin unlike standard washers most people are familiar with. The center of the washers were approx. 1/8" which was plenty of room for the mounting bolts to go through with no problem.
13. After you add the shims and reinstall thecamera to the mount, reinstall the outer trip and secure via the 4x (10mm) nuts you previously removed.
14. Verify camera alignment. Add/remove washers as necessary.
15. Reinstall lower Liftgate trim (Don't forget to connect the courtesy lights!!!)

"End of Quote"

Remember this is for a Jeep.....

Try it at your own risk !!!!!! I found the instructions to install a Mopar Rear Camera package: maybe it will help.

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/pdfs/82212502.pdf

Maybe after the weather warms up, I might give it a try and take some pictures.

Last edited by Gabby-Rudy; 01-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you purchased your vehicle with the back up imaged centered and it is now "tilted," please PM me your VIN. Note: if you purchased it and it was tilted when you got from the dealer, I do not need your VIN.
I just need the ones where the camera image tilted since you got the vehicle.
Not off-center - but actually tilted.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 01-14-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

post deleted - posted in wrong thread

Last edited by DodgeCares; 01-14-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Gabby-Rudy
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
If you purchased your vehicle with the back up imaged centered and it is now "tilted," please PM me your VIN. Note: if you purchased it and it was tilted when you got from the dealer, I do not need your VIN.
I just need the ones where the camera image tilted since you got the vehicle.
Can I ask, why you DO NOT want the VIN numbers of the ones that are tilted/off centered, it seems to me there is a MAJOR problem with these backup cameras being tilted and not centered. The Dodge and Chrysler web sites shows the camera CENTERED and NOT showing the bumper.
I have a 2013 GC and the camera is OFF CENTER and shows the REAR BUMPER.

I believe this is a Manufacture's defect. Please do not tell me it was designed this way....

Last edited by Gabby-Rudy; 01-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Off center would be that the dashed center-line is straight up and down, but not exactly in the center.
Tilted would be that the dashed center line is not straight up and down (perpendicular) but sloped.

I just need the ones where the camera image tilted since the vehicle was purchased - that would mean it wasn't tilted when delivered by the dealer.

Gabby-Rudy,
I am not telling you anything.
Your opinion is noted. You are entitled to your opinion.
I asked a question and people can choose to provide their VIN or not.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Gabby-Rudy
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Off center would be that the dashed center-line is straight up and down, but not exactly in the center.
Tilted would be that the dashed center line is not straight up and down (perpendicular) but sloped.

Gabby-Rudy,
I am not telling you anything.
Your opinion is noted. You are entitled to your opinion.
I asked a question and people can choose to provide their VIN or not.
It not an opinion, I worked at Highland Park and the Auburn Hills Tech Center for Chrysler for 30 years, in the Small Car Platform Electrical Design Group. I was also was a SWAT at team member. For you who don't know, that was Specially Warranty Attack Team, that we solved problems in the plant after a number of warranty claims filed by customers. I been in and out of numerous assembly plants with warranty problems and correcting the problems. Actual field work and Design Experience does count.

This is what Chrysler Advertises:

http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/grand_c...ent-avoidance/

And this is what we get?

http://cimages4.carsforsale.com/4443...R680743_26.jpg

So tell me again, how we are suppose to accept something that's not right?

So, DodgesCares, answer this question, Which picture is correct?, Is the picture showing the camera off center/tilted is the way it is suppose to be, or is this a problem?
I'm Positive, it was NOT designed this way.

If you have a problem with someone telling the TRUTH then PM me.

Last edited by Gabby-Rudy; 01-14-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Caravan Crew w/ Misaligned Parkview Camera