Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Grand Caravan: Lifter noise goes away after reinstalling battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 AM
JesseSK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Grand Caravan: Lifter noise goes away after reinstalling battery

Hi all,

Note: These go from not being there to worsening over time and go away when I remove the battery for a couple hours and reinstall.

I have 3 issues:
  1. Some type of engine noise that sounds like it is low on oil. It sounds like lifters chatter that gets louder and deeper over time. You can hear The noise only at around 900 to 1,100 rpms. It goes away over 1,200 rpms.
  2. The transmission takes a few seconds to shift between gears. If I go from reverse to drive for a few-seconds it acts like I shifted in to neutral and then the transmission engages into drive.
  3. The transmission shifts hard at low speeds and from start and go.
Note: I have done this 3 times now and it fixed both probulmes every time over the past week -( I remove the battery for a couple hours and reinstall and the 2 issues go away)

Note: I checked oil and transmission fluid levels and they are normal.

Note: I took it to 2 trusted mechanics when this first started. One mechanic told me that my car was old and this was a normal lifter noise from the engine. The other mechanic day later told me that it sounded like to him that there was a oil flow issue and they do not repair engines but replace them.

Note: I discovered this because of the error code talked about replacing the ECM of the minivan. I found that the parts store was willing to sell me a new ECM for $250+ dollars. I found a wrecking yard had one for only $50 but unfortunately they do not have a match for my minivan ECM. To make sure there is a match I had to get the code number off my ECM and in doing so I removed the battery and rotated the fuse box so I can get to the sticker they had the codes to the ECM. Then I went inside excitedly and called around with my part number. This took a few hours. Then put the battery back into the minivan and then drove off to the wrecking yard to find replacement. Then I noticed as I drove away the engine noise when away and the car shifting between reverse & drive into neutral & hard shifting between gears all went away; until the next day when all 3 issues slowly came back.

Note: "check engine light" has not come on at anytime

Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Thanks
-=Jesse=-
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan / 3.8L V6 / 15in wheels / 2WD with 181565 miles / Date of MFR Dec-1995

Last edited by JesseSK; 07-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I discovered this because of the error code talked about replacing the ECM of the minivan"

What was the error code?

"check engine light has not come on at anytime"

It should have if you had an error code.

Since they are steering you towards changing a PCM right off the bat can I assume you have a P0600 or P0601? Either is an internal fault in the PCM. Based on reading forums for many years it's a nearly sure bet the PCM is at fault. I do however remember reading of one instance where a wiring fault caused one of those codes. I don't recall the details. Wouldn't hurt to inspect connections for any obvious defects. Always disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable before disconnecting/reconnecting any electronic modules.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM
JesseSK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I got a P600 error code. I inspected all the wiring everything looks normal. I went ahead and replace the PCM. There has been no change in its behavior. I recently received another P600 error code & a "new" error code of P1783.

I replace the output transmission sensor and the problem went away for about 24 hours and then came back.

My next thought is to replace both the input and output sensor at the same time; anyone have any thoughts?

My trick of unhooking both terminals on the battery of the Van overnight is not working anymore. This used to resolve the problem for a short while.

Thanks
-=Jesse=-
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan (LE) / 3.8L V6 / 15in wheels / 2WD with 181565 miles & going / Date of MFR Dec-1995

Quick Reply: 96 Grand Caravan: Lifter noise goes away after reinstalling battery