DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   New here & question about road noise: 2012 G.Caravan SXT (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/354671-new-here-and-question-about-road-noise-2012-g-caravan-sxt.html)

thegogetter222 05-02-2013 02:14 PM

New here & question about road noise: 2012 G.Caravan SXT

Good day gents,
Just picked up our new van yesterday and have a quick question I'm hoping you can help me with. Seems like when we have our mid-windows down, we are experiencing a debilitating vibration noise. Come to find out this is called Wind Buffeting. We were thinking it was the position of the seat belts, but that doesn't seem to be it. We do not have rain deflectors on the front windows if that matters.

We purchased this after our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT developed serious body cancer around the wheel wells and eventually rotted through the frames. Kinda disappointing honestly for such a young vehicle. O'well i guess.

ok, thanks again and I look forward to your response!

shadwell1020 05-02-2013 02:29 PM

A lot of cars do that. Is it mostly on the highway?

thegogetter222 05-02-2013 02:38 PM

Hi Shade and thanks for the quick reply!
It seems to even do it during city driving. We do not have the roof rack setup nor do we have the window rain guards like I said. With all the windows either cracked or down, it doesn't seem to that bad, but using them individually is deafening! Just wondering if that is in fact normal. If it is, thats a pretty poor engineering design especially considering its been, what 4 years now, since they redesigned the body on this series. thanks again!

kuyabribri 05-02-2013 03:06 PM

It is not uncommon for cars to have this sort of noise with the back windows rolled down and the fronts rolled all the way up. My '08 van has it too, and so did my last sedan, a Saturn S-Series, and a few other sedans and SUVs I've rented. I'm sure there is some aerodynamic explanation for it; I'm just not sure what that is.

We get around it by either making sure at least one front window is open when the rears are, or locking out window control so the kids can't open the rear windows.

georgef 05-02-2013 10:49 PM

Here what the 2012 owner's manual has to say:

Wind Buffeting
Wind buffeting can be described as the perception of pressure on the ears or a helicopter-type sound in the ears. Your vehicle may exhibit wind buffeting with the windows down, or the sunroof (if equipped) is in certain open or partially open positions. This is a normal occurrence and can be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear windows open, open the front and rear windows together to minimize the buffeting. If the buffeting occurs with the sunroof open, adjust the sunroof opening to minimize the buffeting or open any window.
George

shadwell1020 05-03-2013 08:22 AM

All of our cars over the years have done it too. We just use A/C most of the time, especially on the highway.

thegogetter222 05-03-2013 08:58 AM

thanks guys. The issue is it seems to be happening even during city driving... stop and go type driving. I'll keep you posted on experimenting with opening the different windows. All the best!