Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New here & question about road noise: 2012 G.Caravan SXT

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
thegogetter222
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here & question about road noise: 2012 G.Caravan SXT

Good day gents,
Just picked up our new van yesterday and have a quick question I'm hoping you can help me with. Seems like when we have our mid-windows down, we are experiencing a debilitating vibration noise. Come to find out this is called Wind Buffeting. We were thinking it was the position of the seat belts, but that doesn't seem to be it. We do not have rain deflectors on the front windows if that matters.

We purchased this after our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT developed serious body cancer around the wheel wells and eventually rotted through the frames. Kinda disappointing honestly for such a young vehicle. O'well i guess.

ok, thanks again and I look forward to your response!

Last edited by thegogetter222; 05-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

A lot of cars do that. Is it mostly on the highway?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
thegogetter222

Hi Shade and thanks for the quick reply!
It seems to even do it during city driving. We do not have the roof rack setup nor do we have the window rain guards like I said. With all the windows either cracked or down, it doesn't seem to that bad, but using them individually is deafening! Just wondering if that is in fact normal. If it is, thats a pretty poor engineering design especially considering its been, what 4 years now, since they redesigned the body on this series. thanks again!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not uncommon for cars to have this sort of noise with the back windows rolled down and the fronts rolled all the way up. My '08 van has it too, and so did my last sedan, a Saturn S-Series, and a few other sedans and SUVs I've rented. I'm sure there is some aerodynamic explanation for it; I'm just not sure what that is.

We get around it by either making sure at least one front window is open when the rears are, or locking out window control so the kids can't open the rear windows.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here what the 2012 owner's manual has to say:
Wind Buffeting
Wind buffeting can be described as the perception of pressure on the ears or a helicopter-type sound in the ears. Your vehicle may exhibit wind buffeting with the windows down, or the sunroof (if equipped) is in certain open or partially open positions. This is a normal occurrence and can be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear windows open, open the front and rear windows together to minimize the buffeting. If the buffeting occurs with the sunroof open, adjust the sunroof opening to minimize the buffeting or open any window.
George

Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
shadwell1020
Rookie

All of our cars over the years have done it too. We just use A/C most of the time, especially on the highway.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
thegogetter222

thanks guys. The issue is it seems to be happening even during city driving... stop and go type driving. I'll keep you posted on experimenting with opening the different windows. All the best!

Quick Reply: New here & question about road noise: 2012 G.Caravan SXT