Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 2007 Refrigerant Oil Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM
gabstero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan 2007 Refrigerant Oil Charge?

Hi Gang!

So i discovered that on my dual unit AC (front and rear evaporator) I need 2.38 lb or refrigerant capacity.
But I found nowhere saying how much oil I need (not in the manual or anywhere else like on the sticker).

Any clue how many ounces of oil should I add to a complete 2.38 refrigerant charge?

thanks!
gabstero

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't find that spec because it doesn't exist. You replace the amount of oil that came out with the refrigerant. Sounds crazy, huh? Well, when a shop evacuates the system, the recovery machine separates out the oil and dumps it into a bottle. You measure how much oil came out and then put that amount back in.

If the refrigerant leaked out, you're in guess-land. And it all depends on HOW it leaked. If it was a big leak, a lot of oil can gush out with the refrigerant. But if it was a small leak, very little oil gets out.

Some guys add 1 ounce with a full recharge. But putting in too much oil causes a reduction in cooling.

So you'll have to call this one on your own.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM
gabstero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks so much for the tip!! It was a full leak since I had a rear evaporator problem. I did a full system recharge (total of 2.38 lbs refrigerant for a dual system), and added about 3 ounces of oil.
The system works great. Thanks for the help!!

g

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 2007 Refrigerant Oil Charge?