Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 3.3 thermostat change

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM
allan.levene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan 3.3 thermostat change

I've changed thermostats before, they are 15 minute jobs. This one may be a problem as I unbolted the housing from the 2007 3.3 engine and found that the removed housing contained the thermostat and not the engine.

As I was plagued by mosquitoes, I just rebolted it back together as I could not pry the old thermostat out quickly and didn't want to damage it.

I'll try again in a few days, away from the bushes. Is there is technique or tab that has to be removed to get the old thermostat out?

I did not see a gasket so it didn't appear to need one when reassembled?

Attached Thumbnails Grand Caravan 3.3 thermostat change-20130717_101849-large-small-.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thermostat doesn't have a gasket because the oring seal around the t-stat seals it. It is also what holds it to the housing. Just pry it out, it will be fine. Make sure the new t-stat comes with a new seal.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
allan.levene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring

Thanks a lot, it makes more sense now. The parts people sold me a thermostat and regular gasket and not an o-ring, so I wasn't clear what I discovered while being bitten by the mosquitoes.

I'll take back the gasket and get an o-ring for the thermostat. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 3.3 thermostat change