Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM
RobScott2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan randomly won't start

My 2000 Grand Caravan will randomly not start. When I turn the key on all of the dash board lights light up but when I turn the key to start it nothing happens. I don't hear any clicking sounds and all of the lights on the dashboard remain lit. I try several times by turning the key to start it and it eventually (after 2-8 tries) the van starts right up. The problem started happening about two weeks ago and appears to be getting worse, meaning it takes more and more tries before it starts.

Does this sound like a problem with the starter's solenoid contacts or, could it be a problem with a relay?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter, relay, the PCM isn't setting the ground for the relay coil, weak battery or ignition switch

Battery - Dash lights are not a reliable indication of the life of a battery. Clean the connections and charge it on a charger. Should see 12+ vdc measured at the battery terminals engine off. Better yet have the battery load tested. Have you tried jump starting the van using jumper cables? Connect the cables, let the donor car run at higher rpm for a few minutes, turn the key. If it starts it indicates a weak battery.

Starter relay - Swap with another relay on the panel.

Ignition switch - Remove the starter relay. Turn the key to start and verify you see 12vdc at contact 86. If it's not there check the 40 amp fuse socket for corrosion and the PTC on the under dash fuse panel.

Solenoid contacts - Tap on the starter as you turn the key. No luck? Remove the starter relay. Jumper contacts 30 and 87 on the relay socket. The starter should crank immediately. If it doesn't, check for 12vdc at each starter connection with the key turned to start (relay back in). If the voltage is there change the starter.

PCM - Verify all involved wiring and connections are good. Substitute anther ground to the starter relay.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-03-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
RobScott2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cougar41. Checked the battery and it's good. I think I may have found the problem. After cleaning the battery terminals and the battery straps I checked the starter connections. The positive connector was very loose. I could almost loosen it by hand. I cleaned the starter connector and the starter cable connector with fine sand paper and some contact cleaner and then tightened the cable well. I'll see if the problem happens again and then troubleshoot further with your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan randomly won't start