Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help diagnose A/C Issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Lembro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnose A/C Issue(s)

Hi I’m new to the forum,

I have a 3rd Gen (1997) Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L with 160K miles. Transmission replaced @ 130k miles.

For the past while, probably a year, the blower has begun to randomly stop producing airflow out of the vents.
During the course of this last year, when I turn the *** to activate the blower, it has been getting less and less likely that it would turn on.
I had suspected something was wrong with the A/C for a while prior to the onset of this symptom, as I have been hearing a progressively occurring hissing noise while a/c was on.
Although frustrating and annoying, these symptoms were bearable enough to make me not do anything about the issue(s)

Last week however, while driving on the highway, I needed to have the windows defogged so I turned the a/c on and a loud noise, (like an oh XXXX this can’t be good noise) started from under the hood. I pulled over and popped the hood and followed the sound which I traced to somewhere in the belt/ a-c pump area. After turning off the a/c the sound went away. After isolating the issue to the a/c I tried my best to forget about the problem and deal with it later. I didn’t use the ac for several days after this incident and when I finally did, I didn’t hear that loud noise, so I forgot about it. The ac still barley ever worked but when it did pump air out it didn’t make that loud noise.
Over the past few days however the noise has slowly come back and now it occurs immediately when I turn on the air flow, (I’m pretty sure regardless if the AC button is pushed or not) and will continue even if I turn the air off. The only way I can get it to stop is if I shut off the engine (and possibly wait a certain amount of time). When I start the engine the noise stays absent until the air it turned on again.

The noise is somewhat higher pitched, mostly static, but with some very rapid but subtle pulsation.
So this is what I know:
· For a year, the blower has grown progressively unresponsive to the air flow control ***
· the activation of the air initiates the noise, but deactivation of the air doesn’t stop the noise.
· The noise is coming from the area where the belts are.
· (Possibly)The a/c unit has been also making hissing noise for an even longer time period.
· From the research and troubleshooting I’ve done all I can really conclude is this:
· The a/c unit is malfunctioning in at least one and possibly more ways.
· A malfunction might have to do with a belt, or pulley or crankshaft

Just seeing if anyone can deduct a more defined diagnosis before I start ripping parts out.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blind diagnosis is my favorite!!

The hissing noise when running the a/c is Freon (what's left of it) metering through the expansion valve. It should be metering liquid Freon but you are low so it is metering gas so you hear the hiss.

Freon is what carries the oil through the system. When you get low but still use the a/c, the compressor runs dry and starts to tear itself up inside until it grenades. Probably the oh xxxx noise you heard.

Leak area most common for that year is the front evaporator. You can fold down the glove box and remove the temp probe grommet and look at it to verify.

Belt tensioners seizing on those was very common as well. Pull on the belt and make sure it moves freely and it keeping the belt tight.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Lembro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it sounds like I might need a new a/c compressor.... I'll check the belt before anything else but it sounds like neglecting to refill the free on ( it was hissing loud for the past twin years) just blew killed it. I'll heep my be yes out of a deal on one.

Muchas gracias Tizzy1

Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to fix the leak as well if your going to spend the money

Quick Reply: Help diagnose A/C Issue(s)