Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Caravan, check engine light, gascap message

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM
topher4096
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Caravan, check engine light, gascap message

2006 Caravan, right at 100,000 miles, started it up this morning and got a check engine light and "gascap" message in trip odometer.

Checked for engine codes and came back with P0457, which indicates small evap leak.

Haven't found much on this forum but found a little from a Google search that suggests it could be a variety of things within the evap system, although the gas cap is a place to start. Have tried simple stuff like checking cap, cleaning cap and gas tube it goes on, adding a dab of vaseline to improve seal etc.

My question: Is it ok to drive the vehicle for a few days until I can get it to our regular mechanic to check out? My wife WILL NOT drive the thing unless somebody (other than me) tells her it's ok. I'm pretty certain it's fine to drive for a while until we can get it checked out but just wanted to be sure. I no longer do any work on the vehicle myself...just too complex on these newer engines.

Thanks for your replies.

Chris

Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it? Not a problem. You could circle the globe. It's just telling you your van is doing what every car did up through the mid 70s, emit unburned hydrocarbons into the air from your gas tank while the engine is running or off in your driveway.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by topher4096
2006 Caravan, right at 100,000 miles, started it up this morning and got a check engine light and "gascap" message in trip odometer.

My question: Is it ok to drive the vehicle for a few days until I can get it to our regular mechanic to check out? My wife WILL NOT drive the thing unless somebody (other than me) tells her it's ok.
Originally Posted by Cougar41
Drive it? Not a problem.
Yes it's OK, unless it starts flashing.

From the Owner Manual:

21. Malfunction Indicator Light
This light is part of an onboard diagnostic system
called OBD that monitors engine and automatic
transmission control systems. The light will illuminate
when the key is in the ON position before engine
start. If the bulb does not come when turning the key
from OFF to ON, have the condition checked promptly.
Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap,
poor fuel quality, etc. may illuminate the light after
engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In
most situations the vehicle will drive normally and will
not require towing.

The Malfunction Indicator Light flashes to alert to serious
conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or
severe catalytic converter damage. The vehicle should be
serviced as soon as possible if this occurs.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gas cap message means the evaporative emissions system has sealed itself and is doing it's test and can't get the switch in the pump to close. So it assumes you have left the gas cap off to create a huge leak. If the cap is on, most of the time it means the switch in the leak detection pump is stuck or something and won't close and would require pump replacement.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:13 PM
topher4096

Thanks for all the replies. We ran it by our mechanic and he advised watching it for a couple days. Said they see this all the time with sudden weather changes on Dodge vehicles and that in most cases it'll resolve itself. Sure enough, it's stopped. We have gone for a week now and no more warning lights or issues. So probably just didn't have the cap screwed on all the way or combination of that and sudden drop in temperatures?

Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 PM
kev7161

I am currently having the same problem. I had a fuel pump replaced recently. After I picked it up, everything was fine, but the Friday after, the "gascap" and check engine light came on. I took it to the place where they serviced it and he came to the conclusion that they had not tightened the gas cap enough. So he did that and the lights disappeared . . . for a short time. As I was driving it around shortly afterward, both came on again. I replaced the old gas cap with a new thinking that will surely fix the problem, but no. I'm tired of fixing this old thing, but I can't sell it (probably) if those lights stay on. Aarrgh!

Quick Reply: 2006 Caravan, check engine light, gascap message