Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Single mom needs free key replacement for 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 PM
epicbloom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Single mom needs free key replacement for 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get a free replacement key for a friend of mine who needs one but cant afford the diagnostic fees and cost to replace the key through the dealership. Any ideas I can explore for her?

Thank you,

Nia

Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is your friend located?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by epicbloom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get a free replacement key for a friend of mine who needs one but cant afford the diagnostic fees and cost to replace the key through the dealership. Any ideas I can explore for her?

Thank you,

Nia
Best of luck for your friend, Nia. With the wicked high cost of gas and insurance, I'm not sure how a free key will help much.

New, unprogrammed factory Dodge Fobik keys are available on ebay for $60 instead of spending $120 at the dealership. However you must have an original key to verify compatibility by matching the numbers stamped on the back. I paid $25 at Dodge dealership to program my second fobik bought off ebay. A third fobik can be always programmed by the vehicle owner using the procedure found in the owners manual. To avoid dealership visit and associated programming labor fees, I will NEVER own fewer than 3 fobiks. It's too easy to break or lose one. Procrastinators pay.

Last edited by Lscman; 10-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Montreal300
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get a non remote key for less than $10 from fleabay. It still has to be programmed but you can buy a few of them for far less than a single remote key. There is a maximum number of keys that are recognized by the security system (8 I believe) so you can't go nuts on the number of keys. Some dealers are very flexible when it comes to charging for programming so shop around. As LCSMAN points out, you only need two valid keys to program the rest.

Quick Reply: Single mom needs free key replacement for 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan