Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Too early for brake issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
mcgusto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too early for brake issues?

Hi all,
2013 (April) with the 17" rims. When braking hard I can hear grinding or what sounds like the brake cable stretching - sorry, i cant diagnose properly
Light braking no noise. Are the pads going already? I only have 23000KM today and had the brakes cleaned on last oil change\check up last month.
If anything needs to be replaced would these be covered under warranty for premature wear?

Tia!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgusto
Hi all,
2013 (April) with the 17" rims. When braking hard I can hear grinding or what sounds like the brake cable stretching - sorry, i cant diagnose properly
Light braking no noise. Are the pads going already? I only have 23000KM today and had the brakes cleaned on last oil change\check up last month.
If anything needs to be replaced would these be covered under warranty for premature wear?

Tia!
mcgusto,

If you're having difficulty pinpointing where the noise may be coming from, it might be beneficial to pop into your dealer.
If the noise is in fact related to the braking system (pads and rotors), the warranty is 1 year or 20,000km.
Feel free to PM me with your VIN# and dealer information after the appointment if needed.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM
mcgusto
Amateur

Hi Dave,
thank you for your advice!
This morning, I took the time for a better diagnosis. I can hear what sounds like the brake pads 'gripping' when released, the braking doesn't have to be significantly hard, but definitely noticeable when applying more than normal pressure.
Is 20k KM normal for brake wear? I had the same issue with a 2011 and thought this was resolved with the bigger rotors/rims in the 2013.
I'll definitely be visiting the dealer tomorrow, will post back results.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgusto
Hi Dave,
thank you for your advice!
This morning, I took the time for a better diagnosis. I can hear what sounds like the brake pads 'gripping' when released, the braking doesn't have to be significantly hard, but definitely noticeable when applying more than normal pressure.
Is 20k KM normal for brake wear? I had the same issue with a 2011 and thought this was resolved with the bigger rotors/rims in the 2013.
I'll definitely be visiting the dealer tomorrow, will post back results.
mcgusto,

Thanks for the follow-up.
To me, 20,000km does sound a little early for brake wear, but, it does depend on what may be the root cause for your issue.
Glad to hear you heading into the dealer for a closer look. Be sure to demonstrate this issue to the service dept if necessary, it's important they hear what you're hearing.
Look forward to the updates!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 AM
vervepipes

I had a brake caliper seize at 30,000 Km and it was replaced under warranty along with the rotor and pads that it ruined. Mine is a 2011 GC, it was 2 years old at the time. Just as described before, it was gripping after the brakes were released.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Too early for brake issues?