Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Side door lock refuses to unlock, 1994 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM
John Hubertz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side door lock refuses to unlock, 1994 Grand Caravan

Myself and one of my best friends both own 1994 Caravans. In the last year, both of us have developed an annoying problem where the side slide door will not unlock, and thus will not open.

Only an eternity of wiggling and locking/unlocking will result in the door opening. The door works normally, and the problem occurs whether you use a key, the electric locks or the manual lock inside the door.

Does anyone know what has gone wrong? We really need some help here.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have this issue on my voyager. I checked the linkages in the door and made sure everything was working properly. The door will lock but will not unlock.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:59 AM
joemel
Amateur

I've got the same problem. I have to hit the unlock button on the drivers door about a dozen times, while watching the toggle to finally unlock.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

No one figure this out?

Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM
John Hubertz

I need to take my camera and tear into mine to fix it. The world needs to know how to repair this problem.

My temporary fix is working fine: I covered the two electrical 'pads' on the front sliding door latch plate (it's on the b-pillar) with grey tape. Now the door doesn't lock with the rest - but I'm happy to exchange the lower security of one unlocked door for the peace of mind of not having the damn thing stuck closed due to the faulty lock.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by John Hubertz
I need to take my camera and tear into mine to fix it. The world needs to know how to repair this problem.

My temporary fix is working fine: I covered the two electrical 'pads' on the front sliding door latch plate (it's on the b-pillar) with grey tape. Now the door doesn't lock with the rest - but I'm happy to exchange the lower security of one unlocked door for the peace of mind of not having the damn thing stuck closed due to the faulty lock.
+1 on that

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Side door lock refuses to unlock, 1994 Grand Caravan