Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Defrost Mode Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
helifly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defrost Mode Issue

Had a problem show up recently. This van has the 3-zone manual temp setup.

Regardless of mode selected, including foot outlet only, I continue to have air blow out the windshield defrost vents in the top of the dash. Mode lights follow my commands and I can shut off the foot outlet when selecting other modes, so this seems isolated to the upper outlet.

I've also noticed when accelerating away after an extended stop, (say waiting for a red light) I feel a waft of warm air hit my face. This is momentary and may be in other areas. I just notice it there. Likely part of the same problem.

We are also NOT prone to throw items up on the dash. To my knowledge nothing has migrated down into the ductwork.

Does anyone have a diagram and description of the mode doors on this one? Pics of where the mode motors are located would help a lot.

Last edited by helifly; 02-24-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model year?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
helifly

Sorry, 2010 SXT 4.0

Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The mode door actuator is on the passenger side of the housing. Remove the glove box and it is on the side of the housing just below the height of the interior air intake

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
helifly

Thanks. Once the weather cooperates, (ie. stop snowing) I'll have a boo. Have the schematics and it shows what looks to be a simple DC motor circuit.

Ever see one fail? If so, simple replacement?

Hope it's not in the control.

On that note, I'm really hoping it's something simple, such as coming unplugged. Not likely.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I've replaced a bunch of the panel door links for a whistle noise but no actuators.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
helifly

Do you have a pic of the unit? Wonder if this is direct-drive or if there is a link involved.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
helifly

Went out and had a look. Froze my lugs off while doing it, but I can confirm the door is moving.

It's just not following logic as I think it should. When I select feet only it retains position and does not shut off the defrost. However, if I select dash and feet it will close off the defrost duct. Weird.

Last edited by helifly; 02-26-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

so you get panel when selected? Maybe just needs to be calibrated

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM
helifly

Never had a problem selecting panel or floor. It just seems isolated to the upper defrost duct.

One thing I should mention is I had it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and along with the oil change had them reprogram the power off time from 45 seconds to 10 minutes, (from min to max). Although not expected or requested, the remote start period also went from 10 minutes to at least 15, (possibly even 20). No complaint there as you are only allowed 2 remotes before key start required and with the -10F weather this is welcome.

I cannot remember if this problem existed beforehand and wonder if both were affected together by a mode change. Could that have buggered the temp controls? Don't think manual has any diagnostics I can access.

As for calibration, is that something I can do stand alone, or also need the dealer to set?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Defrost Mode Issue