Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: ID this part

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
quattj
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ID this part

Image will be forthcoming, but until then...

1995 Grand Caravan 3.3L

I thought it was my EGR valve, but after looking up the EGR valve online, I see that it is not. What it is is a maybe 3 inch tall black plastic housing (kind of bean shaped) sticking up at the top of the engine above the drive belt, toward the front left. It has a wire plugged in to it, and if I disconnect it, I get an error code about the EGR valve. I can't seem to find a picture of it online anywhere. My 1992 Town and Country (also 3.3L) did not have this object.

It's currently making a putt-putt sound as it runs, so It may need replacing (whatever it is).

What is this thing?

Last edited by quattj; 03-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
quattj
Professional

Name:  putt-putt_zpscb7f7988.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  97.9 KB
Here's a pic of the part in question. It's actually a little bigger than I remembered. Probably in the 4-5 inch range.

You can see the engine coolant reservoir to the left, the distributor near the top right, one of the belt pulleys below, and the passenger side wheel well at the upper left to give an idea of location.

As I said, my 1992 T&C doesn't have one of those, or at least not in that location.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 PM
quattj
Professional

Me again. I re-looked up the error code from when I unplugged it a few weeks back. It is error code 31. Allpar lists it as
For models made in model-year 1987 and later which are NOT L-bodies, code 31 is thrown when the purge solenoid/ERG solenoid circuit is open or shorted.
So narrowing it down, and after checking what an EGR solenoid and purge solenoid look like, it looks like it's probably a purge solenoid, except mine is in a housing. Has the proper looking connections on it.

Can anyone confirm?

So if this little guy isn't working right, does that affect my fuel economy? I've had issues with it lately as seen in this post https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...s-mileage.html

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: ID this part