Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: intermittent belt chirp noise / whirring sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
joemel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question intermittent belt chirp noise / whirring sound

Hi, I have an '07 Dodge Gr. Caravan that is making an intermittent belt chirping noise. I have replaced the belt with a Gates belt. Sound did not go away. Using a mechanics stethoscope, the tensioner assembly seemed to making the most noise. I replaced the tensioner / puller assembly. Sound did not go away. Also, another issue that may be linked to this: a loud 'whirring noise' after a long distance at high speed. The long distance is not needed now to hear the whirring noise. It sounds like a jet engine about to take off. Can anyone offer any suggestions please? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:34 PM
SportCaravan
Amateur

My first thought would be the tensioner, oh well. My second thought would be the water pump.

Any chance you could make some more observations while it's running (just don't put your hands near anything)? Maybe you'll spot some discrepancy. It'll take a shop light or flashlight to see well.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 PM
joemel
Amateur

Thanks for your advice, I thought the new belt & tensioner assembly would stop the chirping too. Looking at the pulleys, from above & below with the tire and splash shield removed, all seem and sound okay... How can I check for a faulty water pump, there are no leaks.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
bw619

Use your stethoscope to check your alternator for noise. My alternator on my 05 GC went out on a trip and had to get one from PEP Boys. They have replaced it under warranty 3 times in 2 years. Also, if it seems to be happening more after it rains, check to make sure the splash guard is in place in the wheel well. They left mine off after the last alternator change and it made the chirping noise whenever the road was wet. Good luck.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: intermittent belt chirp noise / whirring sound