Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Billy GCsxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...

Hey guys, good forum you guys have here, this is my first posting so, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT, the rear wiper arm (the part that goes around the shaft) broke. So I called the dealer for a replacement and they said there's been an update. They switched from the plastic to the metal type. Ended up ordering it of off Ebay, same part #
As the dealer specified 6807 8306 AA. Problem is the shaft has a thick, griddy metal ring that use to hold the plastic wiper on and the hole on the new metal wiper arm is to small to go over the ring on the shaft. I called the dealer that I bought the wiper arm from (ebay), he said to use a puller to get the ring off. Anyone heard of this procedure. I looked at some reviews on amazon for the new wiper arm and some said it fits and some said it didn't, one guy drilled the hole in the new metal wiper arm bigger. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

can u post pictures of both parts?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Billy GCsxt

Ok will try...

Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Billy GCsxt

Both original plastic wiper arm and new metal wiper arm above it.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...-photo1.jpg  

Last edited by Billy GCsxt; 04-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Billy GCsxt

New updated metal wiper arm

Last edited by Billy GCsxt; 04-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That arm is for a midyear 2010 and up vehicle. Your parts guy screwed up.

The only SURE way to get the proper part# is to visit a Dodge dealership and tell them your VIN#. Their computer will look up the part that fits YOUR vehicle. Running changes were made in the wiper arm and shaft design, so this is the only way to be sure. ebay is not the ideal source when you run into a situation like this one.

Tasca Dodge probably knows what they're talking about. The newer design arm factory #68078306AA and equivalents only fits midyear 2010 and up. See mfr date range for new design fitment:

68078306AA wiper arm fitment:

Applications:2010 Dodge Grand Caravan
- 119" Wheelbase
- After 11/30/2009

2010 Chrysler Town & Country
- 119" Wheelbase
- After 11/30/2009

I am guessing the gen 5 vans from 2008 model year (job 1) thru mfr date 11/29/2009 use the early arm with a plastic cap. It is not clear to me if Chrysler issued a new design arm to fit these early gen 5 vans.

As I recall, the original 2008 arm is metal with a plastic cover. The oddball, special 16E blade frame is indeed plastic.

Based upon the pics, it looks like the motor shaft diameter has been reduced on newer design. Strangely, it seems that Dodge is selling two different "new style" metal blade arms now. Application listings on amazon and ebay suggest that. I have to wonder if you got a blade designed for the 2013 van, instead of a new design blade for the earlier 2008 shaft.

I hope I'm wrong about that...if the diameter has changed during redesign, it surely won't fit. I have no clue what ring they're talking about. If a "ring" is pressed onto the shaft to increase it's diameter, it would be better referred to as a sleeve or shim. You could only investigate that after removing the old arm. I would never drill out the new arm to make it fit because the hole is a precision size. A hair too big or small would ruin it and I'm almost sure it's tapered.

These arms can be a pain to remove due to corrosion which I see you have. The shaft is tapered so the arm gets wedged on very tightly using modest nut torque, much like a tie rod.

A small 2-arm puller is necessary which can be purchased at an auto parts store or Harbor Freight for a few dollars. Some tie rod pullers will work but it's a pot shoot. The puller tool will push on the center protruding stud while grabbing and pulling on the back of the arm. To help the puller tool stay centered and avoid damaging the shaft stude, I would strongly suggest screwing the nut onto the end of the stud until it is about flush. Make sure it's at least 3 turns loose so the arm can release.

The original plastic Trico 16E blades on the early gen5 look kinda flimsy but mine surely wipes nicely. I replace the blade every few years and they only cost about $3 thru rockauto. I just bought two premium metal Teflon Trico front blades and the rear blade same as original equipment except for Teflon blade. For three exact fit factory-style blades I paid a measily $10 + $7 shipping = $17 delivered to my door. Local auto stores want that much for one blade or they sell you stupid universal or non-frame contour blades that won't lay flat.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-08-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Billy GCsxt

Thanks for your reply Lscman, I went to the local dealer and gave my vin #. They said they sold the last wiper arm for the van and to come back Wednesday morning, they will have some more in stock. I will take a trip there on Wednesday and hopefully get to the bottom of this situation, I will update this thread until it's resolved and the mystery is solved. Thanks again for the time and input guys!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy GCsxt
Thanks for your reply Lscman, I went to the local dealer and gave my vin #. They said they sold the last wiper arm for the van and to come back Wednesday morning, they will have some more in stock. I will take a trip there on Wednesday and hopefully get to the bottom of this situation, I will update this thread until it's resolved and the mystery is solved. Thanks again for the time and input guys!

Yes, I will be very interested to hear if the mfr actually upgraded the arm on early gen 5 or not. Please let us know if they give you an updated all-metal arm with bigger hole just another original old style arm with plastic cover. I can't find the old arm sold anywhere.........hmmmm.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Billy GCsxt

Well... I went to the dealer today and he gave me the same wiper arm and part # that I had gotten off of Ebay. He seemed lost and did not have an answer for me about how to go about installing it. So, as I had stated in my first post, the dealer who sold me the wiper arm off of Ebay, said to remove the sleeve / griddy ring thing from the shaft with a puller. I don't have a wiper puller or anything like that, so I'll take it to a local shop and see if they might be able to pull the sleeve off of the shaft for a couple dollars. Be back tomorrow with an update....

Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Billy GCsxt

OK, time to conclude this thread...
To continue where I left off, I went to Safelite (the auto glass company) today, they told me that they didn't have any type of puller to get the sleeve off the shaft. Then I dropped by the local mechanic, he sprayed WD40 and tried with a vise grip. That didn't work ! I went home and grabbed a hacksaw and sawed off the top and bottom of the sleeve and it fell off the shaft in two pieces. Popped the wiper arm on and screwed on the nut and capped it. Fits perfect and looks like it came from the factory that way. One thing I must add, when sawing off the sleeve, you have to saw at an angle that goes away from the shaft. The shaft itself is flared out under the sleeve. So if you would start sawing from the front of the sleeve ( where the treading is ) to the back and not saw at an angle (up or out ) you would actually take off a smidgen of the shaft like I did. But, it still fit very well and the nut holds it in place perfectly. I will post a pic of the sleeve removed. Thanks again for your input Lscman...

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...-img_20140410_110206801_hdr.jpg  

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan rear wiper update...