Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 08 Caravan Rear expansion valve Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
jfls45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Caravan Rear expansion valve Leak

I detected a leak at the rear ac expansion valve and wanted to ask around about what replacement part to get.

Local dealer price: $120.00 for rear expansion valve
local parts store: $25.00 Four Seasons - 39330 - Block Type O-Ring Expansion Valve

It's my understanding that this expansion valve has failed considerably on many Caravans due to two dissimiliar metals. Because the dealer is charging 120 bucks is this a better valve vs. the $25 dollar Four Seasons valve?

My next question is can I replace this valve from the underside of the vehicle without removing the AC unit first?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could just mean that the valve is aftermarket. sometimes they built better sometimes not. to me if I was removal of the refrigerant and all the work I put in oem when possible.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not install any A/C component with Four Season logo on it. Had bad experience with them, and heard a lot stories about them from other mechanics.

Some Caravan has an 3" extension pipe coming off the rear H-Valve, that pipe may get stuck to a point where you may have to destroy it to get it off.

Make sure you buy 4 O-rings as well, the H-Valve may not come with it. And you can change the H-Valve from the bottom. but wear a clear mask or at least safety glasses, a lot of nasty stuff will drop on your face.

And if possible, you should make sure the H-Valve will even separate from the Evaporator before you buy the part. You do not want to stuck with an extra H-Valve when you also need a evaporator.

Last edited by steak59; 05-13-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 08 Caravan Rear expansion valve Leak