Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0507, P2173, and ETC light

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0507, P2173, and ETC light

As the title indicates I"m getting codes P0507 and P2173. Funny thing is this issue first pops up as the ETC light coming on, and the CEL only comes on occasionally. Another funny thing is that when the ETC light comes on only P2173 shows up when I use the key method to check the code, and only P0507 shows up when I use my handheld scanner. Weird.

A number of other CJD forums have pointed me to a vacuum leak. I used the propane method to check for a leak and found nothing conclusive. I ran the gas by all the hoses that go into the manifold downstream of the throttle body, as well as next to the MAP sensor and at the joint between the plenum and lower IM.

This issue seems to have started after I pulled the plenum to check the plenum gasket condition while chasing a different problem (intermittent P1128 code and evidence of a leak). I started the engine after putting everything back together but I forgot to connect the breather hose back to the air box. I have since replaced the PCV valve double and triple checked every electrical connection and vacuum hose and the only thing I could find was that the coating on the lower EGR tube gasket (where it goes into the EGR valve) was all messed up. I have a new gasket in hand and will install it as soon as I get a chance. I'm also going to replace the plenum gaskets since I suspected those anyways. Other forums have suggested throttle body but does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM
kuyabribri
Professional

Update: I replaced the plenum gaskets and the EGR tube gasket. Ran the van for a few minutes in the driveway with no issues but have yet to drive it. The plenum gaskets were covered in oil, which I think may have been caused by a bad PCV valve.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:46 PM
kuyabribri
Professional

Another update: I've been driving the van around regularly the last 2 days and no codes, CEL, or ETC light. I'm tentatively declaring victory on this.

I have a feeling that I might have just had a computer issue, and disconnecting the battery for the time it took to replace those gaskets did the trick. I did find it rather odd that the PCM threw a high idle code when the freeze frame data showed an engine speed of about 750rpm at idle. My van doesn't have a tach on the instrument cluster so I don't know what normal idle speed is, but if I understand the criteria for the code correctly, that means that the PCM is expecting idle speed around 550rpm or less, and that doesn't make too much sense to me. 750rpm sounds like a more reasonable idle speed, but what do I know.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0507, P2173, and ETC light