Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Wind buffeting/whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014 | 08:04 PM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie
Default Wind buffeting/whistle?

We were driving on the highway into a head/crosswind with some gusting today. Maybe 15 or so times, the buffeting morphed into a momentary long-u sounding whistle, kinda like blowing across the mouth of a bottle. Is this common to happen? I've also noticed a wind noise rumble through the vents when the HVAC is in certain modes. I couldn't tell if the first sound was also coming through the vents, or maybe from around the bottom of the windshield.

Old 06-16-2014 | 09:32 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J Wikoff
We were driving on the highway into a head/crosswind with some gusting today. Maybe 15 or so times, the buffeting morphed into a momentary long-u sounding whistle, kinda like blowing across the mouth of a bottle. Is this common to happen? I've also noticed a wind noise rumble through the vents when the HVAC is in certain modes. I couldn't tell if the first sound was also coming through the vents, or maybe from around the bottom of the windshield.
J Wikoff,

Is there a particular speed range you're noticing it in? Has the noise been there since you bought the van, or is this something that has come about more recently?

Old 06-16-2014 | 11:20 AM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie

70 mph or so. We bought the van new on June 5th, and we hadn't really had the van on the highway since we got it till over the weekend. We have an apppointment for Saturday for the dealer to fix a moulding that was broken pre-delivery, so I'll point it out to them then. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and had suggestions on what to tell the dealer to look for.

BTW, it's a '14 Town & Country

Old 06-16-2014 | 11:52 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J Wikoff
70 mph or so. We bought the van new on June 5th, and we hadn't really had the van on the highway since we got it till over the weekend. We have an apppointment for Saturday for the dealer to fix a moulding that was broken pre-delivery, so I'll point it out to them then. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and had suggestions on what to tell the dealer to look for.

BTW, it's a '14 Town & Country
J Wikoff,

Congratulations on the new Town and Country!

I have taken a look on my end and haven't come across any specifics regarding highway wind noise. Notifying your dealer is a good idea, perhaps even a quick test drive to show them what you've experienced as well. Be sure to follow-up with the Service Manager as well.

Old 05-30-2018 | 10:41 AM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie

Just an update. The dealer didn't do anything about it when I had it in. The sound did stop happening after a short time and I kinda forgot about it. I'm guessing the windshield trims hardened a little and don't flap enough to vibrate. And I have seen a fix for it though. Applying a bead of RTV under the trim strips going up the side of the windshield seem to fix it.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Wind buffeting/whistle?