Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Rough idle, Fuel in oil, Hard start & Loss of Power + Bad Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM
NeoDmax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, Fuel in oil, Hard start & Loss of Power + Bad Gas Mileage

Hi everyone, this is my first thread here, I'm looking for some help.

I have a Dodge Caravan 1992 with a SOCH Engine V6 3.0L 6G72, automatic. This engine has new head gaskets, valve seals and oil retainers. Installed new fuel pump and fuel filter. Now here's the problem:

During a trip to another city in my country (around 70 miles). I was climbing a hill in 2nd gear, engine was doing good, then when i reached the top, the engine suddenly started to sound weird, like engine misfire. I pulled over a gas station and the engine was shaking hard. At first i thought i was a cable of one of the spark plugs because it was loose. After that i noticed there was a fuel smell coming from the engine. When the engine is hot, it stalls and it is hard to start up, take about 6-7 seconds with the gas pedal to the end.

I searched at Google, and found that maybe is the fuel pressure regulator that is busted. I proceeded to test the FPR but there was not leaking fuel from the vacuum hose. Few days later with the van at home. i noticed that oil had a strong fuel smell on it, another symptom of the FPR.

I'm about to order a new FPR, but I'm not sure if thats the cause of the engine shaking hard. I also suspect of the ignition coil or some busted sensor, still i have no CEL Code.

Any advices?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is possible it's your FPR. As my 3.0 reacted the same when mine was bad. Another thing that caused similar issues was a bad coolant temp sensor.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Rough idle, Fuel in oil, Hard start & Loss of Power + Bad Gas Mileage