Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Chrysler T&C blowing coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM
nugentmd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler T&C blowing coil packs

I have a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country that has blown 3 coil packs in just a few weeks. Through research here, I think it's probably a bad PCM, but I want to know for sure before I spend the money on one.
I have read posts telling to check for an open ground on the wires that plug into the coil pack, but I don't see pin numbers on the connecter under the hood. I have a wire that is brown with an orange stripe that is reading a constant open. It looks like it would be pin 4?
Is this an indication that the PCM is in fact bad?
I have also read that I need to check the C2 connector at pins 7,9, and 10; but again, I don't see anything that is labeled C2, and at the PCM I don't see where the pins are numbered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Moving to the Caravan section.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 AM
nugentmd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

With my research about this problem on-line, I had ordered a remanned PCM. It arrived yesterday, and it was plug and play so I put it in last night after work.
The car started just fine. I sat for a minute enjoying the smooth idle before I started to back out of my spot. I got half way out of the spot before stopping, putting it in park, and running back to my wife's car (who was following me just in case). When I ran back to the car, it was running rough and the engine light was flashing.
I popped the hood, and I could hear an irregular popping or cracking or ticking noise. As I watched, the new coil pack started to crack at the #6 terminal. Each 'tick' was another crack until what looked like melted plastic started oozing out of the growing crack. I'm assuming that a fuse blew (I haven't checked yet) because the car then died. After standing there in disbelief and letting things cool for a minute, I tried to start it again, but to no avail.
Please help! I'm at wits end.

Quick Reply: Chrysler T&C blowing coil packs