Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Need help with understanding brake pads and clips

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with understanding brake pads and clips

I have a 2001 GC with 150k. A while back I had the brakes replaced Firestone install Adaptive One (Napa Auto Parts) ceramic brake pads, then after a while started having a rattling sound when going over small bumps at slow speeds. It turned out that the Firestone dealer had removed the sleeves for the caliper bolts. Okay they took care of that and all the noise went away. Well now about 10k later starting to hear the same rattling sound again, but if I apply a slight brake pressure the sound will go away, so I know it's coming from the caliper again.

Napa is going to replace the pads at no charge, but hears my question? These Adaptive One (Napa Auto Parts) Pads AD-7732 do not have a spring clip on the inner pad that goes into the caliper piston. But I have noticed when looking online that some of the other manufactures of aftermarket pads also do not have a spring clip? So is this normal? I'm going to put on some brake quiet and also install the new abutment clips. Any suggestions why the rattle comes back? Or has anyone else had the same problem with pads that don't have the clips that go into the caliper pistons? Thanks

Old 12-04-2014, 09:09 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riverjamie
... It turned out that the Firestone dealer had removed the sleeves for the caliper bolts....
You pay good (and big) $$ to have work done professionally, but they dork it up on you. Just another example why I want to always DIY everything.
Did you check to see if the caliper bolts are snug? Leaving out those sleeves would have allowed the calipers extra sideways play, which I'm guessing could cause wear of the caliper bolt and the bracket threads. If that did happen, you would want to replace all of those parts.
I don't know about the clips not being on the inner pads - the ones I use have them. You might want to contact their tech support and ask them to explain why the clips aren't there. It may be ok to omit those clips - perhaps the centering support they provide isn't necessary. But the brake company should confirm that for you (unless someone else here knows the answer for certain).

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Need help with understanding brake pads and clips