Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: How often do spark plugs NOT survive until the 102,000 mile maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
BrianGainey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers know best "NOT ALWAYS"

Originally Posted by smokesxt
I think you need to find a new mechanic. Sounds like some moron work to me, keep putting more-on until the problem goes away.
Whoever you are taking it to sound like a bunch of yahoos.

Step 1: Take it somewhere else, get a second opinion. Dealerships are not always the best option.
Very true statement, I've worked at a dealership as a diesel mechanic, and no it's not always the best service. You need to look for the mechanic with a little grey in his beard!!! Some of these young pups tend to forget the basic mechanics of how an engine runs. FUEL FIRE and COMPRESSION. Start there then move on to the more complex stuff. It took my dad a couple of years to drive that home with me. So basically what I'm saying is don't over think a problem. KISS........seeya

Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
Ok cool.

Yes, ONE big coil that actually has 3 coils, but you can't replace just one.

Anyway, I would be interested to see what the codes are AND I would still be looking at the main connector at the end of the intake.
Ok, here's the notes on the paperwork after picking up the DGC. Tech's Notes : " 100307 P0300 stored and P2308 active. found ignition coil internally open causing misfire dtc's replaced ignition coil and test drove to verify repairs." The van actually had an extra 30 miles on it when I picked it up, so it appears to be a thorough test drive, if that counts. I will open the hood later tonight to try and find the connection you were talking about.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:25 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danacat
Ok, here's the notes on the paperwork after picking up the DGC. Tech's Notes : " 100307 P0300 stored and P2308 active. found ignition coil internally open causing misfire dtc's replaced ignition coil and test drove to verify repairs." The van actually had an extra 30 miles on it when I picked it up, so it appears to be a thorough test drive, if that counts. I will open the hood later tonight to try and find the connection you were talking about.
Did they finish the drive time sensors?

The only things that can cause misfires are compression leaks, plug, plug wire, coil and since coil is connected directly to PCM a PCM driver. If it was a cam engine like the VVT it could also be a timing issue..

Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by danacat

sigh...so the same codes the second time, then they replace the coil AGAIN.

Well, you have a connection issue either AT the coil or the harness connector for the upper engine. I guess time will tell if they fixed it or not. There IS a remote chance the PCM driver got damaged but I doubt it on an open circuit.

Originally Posted by tjnc
Did they finish the drive time sensors?
P2308 wouldn't require that, only the misfire code.

Originally Posted by tjnc
The only things that can cause misfires are compression leaks, plug, plug wire, coil ...

...Vacuum leaks, injector , lying O2 sensor data, contaminated fuel, timing faults (mechanical or electrical), etc...

Last edited by TNtech; 04-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: How often do spark plugs NOT survive until the 102,000 mile maintenance?