Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: What Else should I fix while doing Harmonic Balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 PM
bassettsnose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Else should I fix while doing Harmonic Balancer?

2002 Grand Caravan, 3.3L, 165k hard miles, automatic trans.

About to replace the harmonic balancer, wondering what else yall would recommend I do while I'm down there.

Parts shop says I'll need to replace the timing cover gasket...but that also "says" I'd need to replace the valve cover gaskets too.

Someone else says I should do the water pump, but if I'm running low on funds and this one isn't *too* old yet, and someone else says if I'm doing the water pump I ought to do the inlet pipe too.

Does anyone have any realistic recommendations as to what I "should" do, with the consideration that it's my family's only vehicle and we're limited on funds?

Obviously, I'd like to do as much as possible that'd have to be redone should something come up next week requiring I go back in and change something unexpected in the same area...for example, I replaced the water hoses when I replaced the thermostat...but I don't want to spend the $$$ on something that "can" wait without risk.

Thoughts? THANKS in advance :-)

Old 03-14-2015, 12:53 PM
tjnc
Professional

Water-pump, thermostat, and flush the block and radiator with a hose. Get some G-05 antifreeze and a big jug of filtered and distilled water.

Prices:
$38 water pump
$7 thermostat
$18 G-05 coolant
$1.30 1gal water

Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM
bassettsnose

Thanks tjnc...will definitely do those (better safe than sorry, & those are low-dollar insurance policies).

The store claims when replacing the timing cover, the oil pan gasket would have to be replaced as well. Any idea if that's necessary or just an attempt at up-selling?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no need to replace the timing cover gasket because it does not need to be removed to replace the harmonic balancer. It may be a good idea to change the front crankshaft oil seal while you have the harmonic balancer off.

George

Old 03-14-2015, 07:57 PM
bassettsnose

Thanks George. That's what I was thinking re: the timing cover, but couldn't verify. Thanks for the tip on the crankshaft seal...very good plan :-)

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: What Else should I fix while doing Harmonic Balancer?