Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2004 Grand Caravan SXT - bad BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Grand Caravan SXT - bad BCM?

2004 Grand Caravan SXT with almost 200K miles. 3.8L

On a trip to NOLO, all the gauges suddenly quit working. No blinkers, no flashers, no cruise control, no speed sensing door lock.

This happened once before, but that time, it was a short in the 4 wire trailer harness. When it was fixed, the problem stopped and all was well. So this time, instead of just fixing the wiring harness (it again had some bare wires and appeared to be shorted), I just removed the entire darn thing (I have not towed anything in years anyway). Running/brake lights work fine.

Well, that did not fix it this time. So I took out the battery and tray, popped up the power/fuse box and checked the wires and connections. All seem fine there. No blown fuses, and I checked them all just to be sure.

So it looks like I have a bad BCM. Wonderful..... I crawled up under the dash and wrote down the BCM part number P04727478AG. I then went to ebay and found one - but here are my questions:

1) If the part number is identical, does that mean it will be what I need? I have read you have to match the options you have installed (based on VIN # - such as 3.8L, no power lift gate, speed sensing door locks, etc. etc.), but is that a programming issue for the part?

2) If it has to be programmed, who can do it and how much does that cost?

3) Can they be repaired? I found one website that says they can, but I know nothing about them or their capabilities. http://www.kleinbottlecomputer.com

4) Since this is not the ECM, there should not be any issues with the odometer - right? I ask because I cannot tell if any miles are being logged right now by the computer as I cannot see it.

5) Has anyone had this repaired at a dealer/shop? If so, how much for the part/labor if you don't mind me asking.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2004 Grand Caravan SXT - bad BCM?