Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Grand Caravan - Brake Lamp Fuse Blows.. key culprits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM
TheKid72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grand Caravan - Brake Lamp Fuse Blows.. key culprits?

The Problem - the brake lamp circuit has a short circuit. It started totally intermittent, and was just the fuse, plus the high mount brake lamp just happened to be out (was the suspected cause). A month later, blown fuse again. Ultimately it's instant... insert new fuse, press on brake, fuse blows.

What I've done - removed all 3 brake lamp assemblies to check for shorted lamps / lamp socket issues. Still blows fuse with tail / high mount lamp removed. There is no trailer harness. Note that this has a separate brake lamp from the turn signal lamp on this vehicle.

I am going to try and isolate this myself but would appreciate some feedback as to known trouble spots and common causes or wire chafing areas to search out first. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the wire connector at the switch at the brake pedal. Jump pins 1 and 2 together on the connector. Fuse ok? Change the switch.

Need wire diagrams? Send me an email address to send them to via a private message.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-17-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 PM
TheKid72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip! The short is after the switch, and yes - even the large paper clips can get warm for just a second (duh). Indeed I do have battery voltage across connections 1 and 2, so at this point I need to follow key wear points for that brake wire between the switch connection and the rear of the vehicle.

I will send a PM with my e-mail and really appreciate the offer.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Grand Caravan - Brake Lamp Fuse Blows.. key culprits?