Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Purelife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 starting issue

This is my first dodge. 56000 miles. I bought it 9 days ago. On day 2 it began not starting. When I turn the key it turns the engine over for a split second then stops. I had the battery , alternator and starter checked. All good. If I continue trying to start it, it will eventually start. I am tAking it to the dealer where I bought it to have them look at it but I'm afraid they won't be able to help if it won't duplicate. It doesn't always happen. Has anyone seen this before?

This video is exactly what is happening to me.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How specifically was all tested?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Purelife

Originally Posted by Cougar41
How specifically was all tested?
The battery, alternator and starter were tested at O'reilly's. He had a fancy multimeter that he hooked to the battery before I started it. You can hear in the video that the engine actually turns over slightly. No starter grinding or solenoid click. All electronics in the car work fine when this happens. Hoping someone else has experienced this and can share there resolution. Until then I will continue searching.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Purelife,

There is a TSB that may be related to your concern. It involves updating the WIN software when experiencing intermittent no starts. I would recommend bringing your vehicle to an FCA dealership and referencing this TSB.

TSB 08-024-11 REV. A

SUBJECT:
Flash: Intermittent No Start Or Intermittent RKE Function

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) with new
software.

MODELS:
**2011 (DD) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis**
**2011 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup**
**2011 (DP) Ram 4500 / 5500 Cab Chassis**
2011 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
**2011 (DX) Reg Cab Chassis (Mexico)**
2011 (LC) Challenger
2011 (RT) Caravan / Town & Country
2011 (W2) Grand Cherokee (CKD)
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: This bulletin applies to **DD, DJ, DP, DS, DX** vehicles built before April 7,
2011 (MDH 0407XX) equipped with Remote Keyless Entry (Sales Code GXM).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LC, W2, WD, WK vehicles built before April 7, 2011
(MDH 0407XX).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to RT vehicles built before April 12, 2011 (MDH 0412XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The service flash corrects the following conditions:
• Intermittent no start
• Intermittent RKE function

The above conditions may be caused by a software lockup in the module. The lockup
condition may be cleared by removing and reinserting fuse M27.

Flash reprogramming the WIN will correct these conditions.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

If the TSB above does not solve the issue (it didn't for me), then you probably have a faulty Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The 2011's in particular are notorious for having faulty TIPMs. I just had to have mine replaced, and it actually solved several other electrical "gremlins" as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Purelife

crxmanpat - I read through your list of issues yesterday and I'm watching out for more signs. I found another forum where my issues escalated new fuel pumps and transmission switches. All didn't change anything. Then the new TIPM did. My biggest problem is I just purchased this from a dealer 2 hours away and I have 20 days left on my warranty. I really need it to break before then.

Jack - Is the TSB something the dealership does for free?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

If you bought it with a 30-day full coverage warranty, I'd say the TSB would be covered for free. But at the same time I'd bring up the TIPM to them so that if the TSB does not fix it, then the TIPM may be the culprit. What's happening is the TIPM is not turning on the fuel pump. But in my case, the car just cranked continuously, it did not act like yours. So maybe the TSB will help.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Purelife, TSBs are covered under the factory warranty. This TSB states that it is reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty, but there are many factors that can go into a possible reimbursement. I would recommend checking with your dealership to confirm if this can be covered or reimbursed in your particular situation.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
ewfletc
Default 2008 GC SXT with intermittent starting issues

I am also having intermittent starting issues. It has been going on for almost one year. I now have 81,500 miles and I am the only owner. We thought it was a starter issue so last October, we had it towed (because it wouldn't start) to a local shop. Once they took it off the tow truck, it started up with no issue but we went ahead and replaced the starter. About a month later, it happened again. Through trial and error, I found that popping the hood and shaking all of the wire bundles around the battery and TIPM would make the car start. We recently had the ignition module replaced (due to a recall) and the problem still exists. The guy I spoke to at the Dodge dealership when I brought it in for the recall said it could be the TIPM. However, another seasoned mechanic said that if I have to shake the wires to get it to start, it is not the TIPM. It is probably a loose wire. Prior to the ignition module replacement, the van would not start once every month or two. Now, it is happening once or twice a week. Should I bring it in to the dealership to figure out what the issue is? I always feel like I'm being taken advantage of whenever I walk into a dealership...

Old 08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An easy way to prove the starter circuit is ok, less all the solid state microprocessing garbage that makes it all happen, is to remove the starter relay and jump contacts 30 and 87 together. The starter should spin right away keys in your pocket. You're bypassing the relay and the circuit (control circuit) that applies the required ground to the starter relay coil. Contact numbers are on the bottom of the relay. If it spins you proved the starter, solenoid, battery, wiring and connections are all reacting correctly when power is applied. That leaves the control circuit through the relay's coil and all those microprocessors as the target.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-04-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 starting issue