Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Dodge Caravan pass sliding door won't open from the inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 AM
Jocelin07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Caravan pass sliding door won't open from the inside.

Hello. I have a 2000 dodge caravan and I'm having trouble with my passenger sliding door. It is not an auto sliding door and the door does lock and unlock. We can open the door with no problem at all from the outside. However the door will not open from the inside. When we push the button to try and open the door from the inside I can hear the door trying to unlock but again it won't open. I took off the door panel and everything is working fine. However I can see when it unlocks when I push the bottom it doesn't unlock completely. (The latch doesn't fully open up to unlock it. Like if I could push the bottom down a little farther there wouldn't be a problem.) But if I really push hard the latch will unlock fully and I can then open the door from the inside. But there is no way my mom or kid can push the button that hard to open it. When I push the metal rod that goes long ways towards the back of the van then it unlocks fully to open it from the inside. What do I have to do to make this door unlock fully from the inside as well? It is very annoying to keep getting out of the car and opening it from the outside to let people out of the back. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Is the child lock engaged?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Jocelin07

It is not. I switched that on and back off before taking off the door panel.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:36 PM
David Sawyer

I have the Same problem on my 2004 - I can not pull up the door lock **** - it is stuck in the down position and as STUPID AS IT SEEMS ! - It is a catch 22 situation ! -You need to open the sliding door first !! - in order that you can remove the door panel to get access to the Locking mechanisms - - - But the door is locked & will not Open - so I can not get the interior door panel off and that's pretty STUPID - !!! - Can anyone help with this problem ??

Last edited by David Sawyer; 05-09-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:44 PM
David Sawyer

I have the Same problem on my 2004 - I can not pull up the door lock **** - it is stuck in the down position and as STUPID AS IT SEEMS ! - It is a catch 22 situation ! -You need to open the sliding door first !! - in order that you can remove the door panel to get access to the Locking mechanisms - - - But the door is locked & will not Open - so I can not get the interior door panel off and that's pretty STUPID - !!! - Can anyone help with tis problem ??

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Dodge Caravan pass sliding door won't open from the inside.