Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Intermiitent starting problem in a '98

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
o2pilot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermiitent starting problem in a '98

My '98 has a very intermittant starting problem It's the second time in a year, it has happened. After driving somewhere, it won't start. When it happens, if you turn key, it cranks and shuts down immediately. After an indeterminate period, it starts again normally.

Yesterday, when this happened, I disconnected the ground for awhile to reset computer, and after that, I could not even get the starter to crank the 3.8L V6.

Then I swapped the starter relay w/ the AC clutch one, and it didn't change anything so the starter relay isn't bad. Then I jumpered the starter relay
pin 87 to battery positive and the engine cranked just fine, (still would not start normally)

When tow truck came to tow about 3 hours later, it started just fine again. Right now it's starting normally again, though I don't want to be stranded somewhere again randomly.

Any ideas on what is causing this problem?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM
o2pilot

New info, it just happened again, fortunately at home before going anywhere.

It starts up and runs for maybe 1-2 seconds before dying. During the time that it runs 1-2 sec, all gauges are dead. I was able to attempt this 3-4 times. After that, completely dead, no cranking. Also, I can hear the fuel pump pressurize when I first turn the key, so I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is ok.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a typical VTSS system failure. That's your alarm system. Getting a little red light or alarm system light on the dash? Try another key. Other than that you could have a faulty BCM, PCM or wiring issue.

Info on the system. The jist is on the last page: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/ga...43_binder2.pdf

Last edited by Cougar41; 07-31-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM
o2pilot

upon further research, I suspect the issue to be bad instrument cluster (bad solder joints).
Apparently, there is a computer network which runs thru the cluster, which is disrupted by the bad solder joints.
which kind of explains the dead instrument cluster effect.

So if you have no starting, cranks fine but dead gauges, this might be your problem......

see http://www.allpar.com/model/m/repairs/3G-cluster.html

Old 08-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Missed the cluster clue. Common problem on 3rd gen vans. Have you seen the youtube vids on how to fix it for nothing?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Intermiitent starting problem in a '98