Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 carvan es long crank time

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
josh.simon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 carvan es long crank time

Hello all, again...haha
well about 2 weeks ago, I did some surgery to the van before our vacation and this included, new ebay fuel pump sending unit and fuel filter...as well as a bunch of other stuff....but this is my issue now.....so I paid 50 bucks for the Lifetime waurantee pump....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171575784626?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I changed it because my plastic housing was cracked and would often leak fuel and am getting the dreaded p1494....so assuming this was the mechanical leak...so I changed it out with a new filter from my local parts store while I was in there....I noticed I was having a second or two longer cranks but figured I would deal with it when I got back, I also have a used oem pump from wrecking yard and my old one still......while I was on my vacation in downtown Toronto my van suddenly died coming to an intersection on way back to campground....after 2 hours of scratching my head with zero tools (earlier had to clean batter terminals for a fellow camper on Honda ridgeline cuz of no start issue, so tools were at campground) I had purchased a caa membership for 120 and then thought to check ign fuse....well fuse was blown....no idea why that would happen while driving and coming to a stop at intersection....but whatever....changed fuse and cancelled tow truck.....now we get home and about 2 days after our trip wife calls with no start....now I am loosing fuel pressure somewhere and key has to be cycled 3-4 times for a quick start....I plan on dropping tank and changing out fuel pump again as I have one to verify pump check valve rather then injectors or pressure regulator....has anyone else had such wonderful luck?? and am I wasting my time and should be focussing on pulling intake and checking injectors and pressure regulator? I just find it too coincidental to have something else fail....any opinions would be heplful in trying to save an hour of my time...if it sits for 30 min it is hard to start again so it has to be a major internal leak somewhere....I am not really noticing any idling issues or full throttle stutters to kinda rule out pressure regulator...but injectors and or check valve could be possibility in my mind....

sorry for long post but I wanted to give all info.....and yes I still have dreaded p1494 code came back on....I got about 3 days of no light

thanks

Old 08-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a pump leak just like yours causing hard starts. Changed the pump and done. That was three years ago. I've read of people in your situation on various forums. A second pump usually fixes it. I would think if you had an injector leaking you'd have lousy mileage and/or a heavy raw gas smell up front. You could pull the plugs and check for a wet plug or heavy fumes.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-11-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 PM
josh.simon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply and I will change the pump with the good junkyard one I have and send away for replacement pump for new one just put in, during same service I had changed rack and had to remove and replace as first one changed was a bad rebuild...now pump....wow everything I did I have to do twice

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 carvan es long crank time