Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Don't ignore leaking wheel cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't ignore leaking wheel cylinders

Greetings,

posting in the caravan forum because this was on my Caravan.

Pro tip: if you have a leaking wheel cylinder, don't ignore it for 2 years, you'll regret it

Don't ignore leaking wheel cylinders-gv59bo5.jpg

All that sludge and gunk took me over an hour to get "good enough." Also, the friction material was completely deteriorated and trashed. New cylinder, shoes, hardware kit and drum (both sides) and she stops like a car should again. The longest part of the job was getting the other drum off.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would take a lot of neglect to make a mess like that. Obviously the brake fluid was going somewhere.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by offgas
It would take a lot of neglect to make a mess like that. Obviously the brake fluid was going somewhere.
there was no significant evidence of a leak, no stains on the drive, nothing like that at all. I'm not saying it wasn't neglect, I knew it was leaking and I ignored it for a long time.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
2015Gen5

Problem with leaking wheel cylinders is they let air IN as well as fluid OUT. How did you drive this thing?

Accepted practise to loosen stuck drum is loosen wheel studs 2 turns on the ground and rock vehicle back and forth . Or use a big torch to heat drum Only in contact area with hub, overheating not recommended due to possibility of ruining hub or wheel bearing seal. Go easy with the hammering.

Quick Reply: [General]: Don't ignore leaking wheel cylinders