Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gauges twitching when ignition is off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:25 AM
MJSchutt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges twitching when ignition is off.

Trying to diagnose what might be going on with this van I just got. Here is what I know so far.

1.Previous owner said that the batter would not hold a charge over night. He theorized that there may be a drain on the electrical system.

2.Brought the batter in for testing. It was definitely toast. Luckily under warranty.

3. Replaced Battery.

4. When I first hook up the battery, everything is normal. After I start it for the first time though, things start to get a little weird

5 The first few times I started it today. all the gauges would work fine, but when I turned off the ignition, the fuel gauge would go up to about half a tank and "Vibrate" in place. After about 20 mins it would go down to empty and occasionally twitch. During all of this a faint buzzing noise could be heard from the instrument cluster (I assume the fuel gauge motor hard at work). As soon as I turn the key from the off position to the on position, the "vibrating" would stop and all would return to normal, regarding of the motor running.

6 Now, with no changes made whatsoever, none of the gauges work. When I start the car, all the gauges stay at the bottom and twitch, and the digital displays occasionally flicker on for a fraction of a second. Then when I turn the car off, the gauges continue to twitch as before but with the omission of the digital displays, which remain off.

7 I have tried removing all the in-cabin fuses and relays while in the off position to see if the twitching would stop, but to no avail.

I think it odd that when i first apply power to the system, the gauges do nothing. acting as normal there is no twitching to be seen or buzzing to be heard. It is only after I start the car for the first time that any symptoms appear.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Matt

Old 09-19-2015, 06:15 PM
MJSchutt
Amateur
Default *Update* still having issues

Took apart the gauge cluster looking for bad solder joints. didn't find anything obvious, but re did all the main connector joints anyhow. Still having the same issues.

Any ideas?

Matt

*EDIT*

After doing a bit of trial and error, the problem happens only when I have the Odometer/ gear selector circuit (we will call this board 2) plugged into the main cluster board (board 1).

if i turn ignition off the gauges start twitching as normal, then unplug board 2 from board 1 WHILE the gauges are still twitching, then the gauges will stop.

Also, If I turn the ignition off with board 2 ALREADY unplugged from board 1, then the gauges will not twitch.

Again, any thought or suggestions as to what could be the issue are appreciated.

I hardly think driving around without the odometer or gear display is really a permanent solution.

Thanks to whoever finally responds to this post.

Matt

Last edited by MJSchutt; 09-19-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: updated status of diagnostics
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model year? Was it doing any of this before changing the battery? Have you checked for a parasitic drain using an ammeter?

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-20-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:47 AM
MJSchutt
Amateur

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Model year? Was it doing any of this before changing the battery? Have you checked for a parasitic drain using an ammeter?
It is a 97 Town and Country LXi
I do not know if this was occurring before the battery was replaced. Replacing the battery that tested dead was my first troubleshooting move.
No parasitic drain unless the gauge "twitching/vibrating" is occurring.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 AM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Switch?

Could it be something as simple as an ignition switch not shutting off completely? Would this also explain the dead battery?

Old 11-17-2021, 04:43 PM
MJSchutt
Amateur

Follow up: Replaced the gauge cluster with a unit from a wrecking yard. Fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gauges twitching when ignition is off.