Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Rev Limiter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 PM
helifly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Limiter Problem

My 2010 4.0 has 89,000 Kilometers and I had a problem show up the other day that is new and a bit scary.

I was passing two vehicles and held the throttle down. Consequently it felt like I hit the rev limiter, with the engine bucking like it was cutting in and out, but from that point on it would miss at any throttle or RPM and the engine light was flashing. Continued home with the worry shutting it down would leave me stranded. After restart the engine runs normally and no further problems, but I have not dared go as far up the range as before.

I have held it down for extended passes before without this or any other issues. Fuel is Shell mid-grade with no ethanol.

Any idea what or why this occurred?

ps. One thing I planned to look into this week was what seems a slightly louder exhaust than normal when listening from the drivers seat, but brake torquing or accelerating with the windows open does not sound any different.

Last edited by helifly; 01-31-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Flashing check engine light is indicative of a serious misfire. Pull the codes and see if any are stored.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Rev Limiter Problem