Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Power Sliding Door issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:26 PM
davidjs1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Sliding Door issues?

Per the title, I have a 2010 Grand Caravan with the power sliding doors. One of the doors (Driver side) has issues when the van is parked with the nose down-hill. It opens fine, and closes fine on flat land, but when it's pointing downhill, it closes very haltingly... sort of going in fits and spurts, and often will stop part way, and reverse open (like when it hits something that is blocking the opening).
This doesn't sound like the typical issues with broken wires. Does anyone know how the door mechanism works? I can't find parts on it on rockauto - are these dealer only items?

I assume the door mechanism is the same as the 2008, per this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-the-part.html ?

Will I just have to replace the whole mechanism anyway?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:43 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There are software updates for the sliding door modules for various issues like this.

Get it scanned for updates at the dealer and get them done before you go any further.

In addition to the TSB below, there is a set screw where the track harness attaches to the lower rail. There is a tab that will loosen up that can act as an obstruction.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: TSB
08-017-09

Some customers may experience the power sliding door intermittently not fully closing
when activated with either the key fob or switches located in the vehicle. The door will
begin the closing process but then reverses at any point without any obvious obstruction or
reason. The doors will close manually with no apparent problem.
If the door slows below a threshold during the power close sequence, the system may
misinterpret this as an obstruction and reverse the doors direction to open. The detection
threshold may be overly sensitive.

The new software will provide revised parameters for power sliding door obstruction
detection but it is important to note the software cannot compensate for mechanical
problems that can cause the door to slow during a power close sequence.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-14-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:01 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I second TNtech's recommendations. Please keep us posted on this, also. I'd be happy to help you schedule a dealership appointment if you PM me your info on here.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Power Sliding Door issues?