Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: ByPass AC Compressor 2000 Dodge G Caravan 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Vikingtu
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ByPass AC Compressor 2000 Dodge G Caravan 3.3

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3L This car is old with miles on it and I am trying to keep it going. After finishing anther repair the AC compressor seized and the refrigerant leaked out. It is making a loud grinding noise even though the clutch is not engaged. I have no intentions of repairing this as I understand the expense is larger than just a compressor replacement. Is there a way to bypass the compressor with a shorter belt or by doing some modification to the existing compressor. I researched those Dorman pulleys but the ratings, installation and product is not liked by people how have tried to use them. I would like to simply bypass that compressor so the car is quieter. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Vikingtu
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI for anyone reading my post. I worked around the issue regarding the AC unit. I was able to purchase a bearing at Autozone for $17.99 (in stock) today. I took the old AC compressor out and replaced the frozen bearing with the new one. The AC is broken but I don't care about using it since the car is on its last legs anyway. I started the car and everything is fine now. Ps. My AC had not refrigerant in it so it was easy to remove the compressor. Remember, always have the refrigerant removed by a qualified person.

Last edited by Vikingtu; 02-16-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: ByPass AC Compressor 2000 Dodge G Caravan 3.3