Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan ES 2.4L Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM
JRR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan ES 2.4L Steering issue

I have a 2002 Caravan ES 2.4L. I love this van. My issue has to do with steering. All of the front end components with the exception of the rack have been replaced. No rattles. Everything is tight. No one can find any obvious problem. When I am driving sometimes the wheel is straight and the van tracks straight. Then out of nowhere the steering wheel is cocked right and the van drifts right. Then other times I am driving along and the wheels drift away for a second and then it comes back. Almost like a skip. It feels like there is no control for a second then it comes back fine. I have 250,000 miles on it and don't want to pull the rack without knowing if this is the issue. The shocks and struts are new as is the stabilizer bar. The tires are fairly new and I rotated them with no change. It is almost like having the steering go out for a split second. Anyone ever hear of this? I was thinking of draining the power steering fluid. Could this be an issue? The steering is very light, no binding, no noises, no jiggles, solid over bumps and pot holes. The alignment has been done several times and is in speck. What would make it suddenly change and then change back to normal?
Thank you all for you help and suggestions. JRR

Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 PM
JRR

I have the same van with similar miles. I had the same issue. Check the leaf spring mounts in the rear. Mine were shot. The bushings were gone. In essence the rear axle would shift side to side. The van would drift over to another lane without me moving the steering wheel. Usually happens on a curve on a highway or after a bump in the road. replaced the mounts and bushings and it now tracks straight. And yes NO ONE, not Anyone could figure this out until I brought it to a shop that builds hot rods. He diagnosed it in a few minutes.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 PM
mirageman
Professional

I think The Little Rascals had a similar issue with their fire truck....good one!

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan ES 2.4L Steering issue