Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Discouraged dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light

Hey guys
I bought a 2012 grand caravan sxt for my wife as a used vehicle had it since December and now after having it for over a year with no troubles, the alternator light chooses to randomly come on while driving.if you shut it off, the light goes away but pops up at another random time but same thing... Shut it off and away to go again.... Anyone know what could cause this??

Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Alternator going out, battery going out, bad connections at the battery, starter and/or grounds. Don't get discouraged. Things don't last forever. Could also be a worn accessory drive belt. Get the battery and alternator checked for starters.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-02-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to point out for the OP that most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly) will test your battery, starter, and alternator for free except where state/local laws don't allow them to.

I agree with jkeaton, parts don't last forever. Alternators, batteries, belts, and starters are relatively minor repairs, though they can add up if you have to do them all at once.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:00 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It could be caused by a variety of things. As the others have said, having some of these major electrical parts checked may be a good place to start. If you elect to bring your vehicle to a dealership for diagnosis and would like assistance scheduling an appointment, please feel free to reach out to me!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Battery light