Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Keferrier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan issue

My cooling fan comes on if I have the a/c or defrost feature on but will not come on if the heat is off or set for vents or the floor. I have changed the 2 separate relays and a 60 amp fuse with no difference. There is a resistor that is in the top of the cooling fan shroud and that test for continuity. Can anyone give any suggestions as to what I can do next? The van is to nice to bypass this with a toggle. And I can't afford to take it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

The engine cooling fan? It is designed to come on when the AC compressor is running, but it won't come on other times unless the coolant/engine temp gets hot enough. Are you experiencing overheating issues?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Keferrier

Originally Posted by jkeaton
The engine cooling fan? It is designed to come on when the AC compressor is running, but it won't come on other times unless the coolant/engine temp gets hot enough. Are you experiencing overheating issues?
No overheating as far as my temperature gauge shows. Once it warms up it always stays at half no matter how far I drive. But I do get a coolant leak from the spigot on the overflow jug if I let it run for about 20 minutes or more. But the gauge never goes past half if I'm driving or letting it idle.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 PM
Moparpwr86
Question

I'm having similar issue fans not turning on and relays are all good and fan will run if hard wire it so all is operational. I have power at relay and ground at both wires at fan and at the resistor in the fan shroud not sure what says to turn power to it... has anyone figured this out?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Keferrier

Originally Posted by Moparpwr86
I'm having similar issue fans not turning on and relays are all good and fan will run if hard wire it so all is operational. I have power at relay and ground at both wires at fan and at the resistor in the fan shroud not sure what says to turn power to it... has anyone figured this out?
The issue with my fans after testing all the wires and fuses and relays I ended up changing my coolant temperature sensor. And it fixed my problem. The sensor seemed to be working as far as the gauge on the dash shows but it wasn't opening a signal to the high speed relay (ground).

Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 AM
RedCaravan
Amateur

Never mind you had the same problem I had. Just watch for leaks in the radiator. After overflowing the system a few times my radiator had a leak and had to replace it.

Last edited by RedCaravan; 05-02-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Cooling fan issue